Do I have enough ventilation for my tank?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
sunnygrace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Do I have enough ventilation for my tank?

Postby sunnygrace » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:25 pm

I have an adult eastern blue tongue. My tank has two sliding doors (those types of tanks) and has no open top. I am concerned about the ventilation because whenever I open the doors it feels very stuffy and warm inside on the cool side and the temperature readings are very similar to the temperature readings on the hot side. (Hot side = 30 degrees // cool side = 28-29 degrees) One thing that may be causing this is that when we first got the tank the owner misplaced the vents - so the hot side has a vent on the bottom and the cool side has a vent on the top. Could you guys confirm whether this is causing the tank to not have the proper temperature range? And could you give me some ideas on how to add ventilation? I tried drilling holes but the wood on the side is so thick it's really hard.
Thank you!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Do I have enough ventilation for my tank?

Postby mb606587 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:46 pm

Yeah its possible the ventilation isn't too effective because of the misplacement. I'm sure as you probably know, heat rises so ideally the vent should be at the top of the hot zone so as the heat rises, it can escape the enclosure rather than just stagnate. What I do is drill a pilot hole, and then use an electric jig saw to make the desired cuts for my ventilation holes.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Re: Do I have enough ventilation for my tank?

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:59 pm

Buy a bunch of little round cupboard vents , and a circular shaped hole saw of the similar size , dead easy to drill perfectly round holes and then simply push the round vents in. If it's a tight fit all the better.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”