7 month BTS pink tint to nose/snout

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
wiccanskink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

7 month BTS pink tint to nose/snout

Postby wiccanskink » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Hello everyone!

I've had my BTS Truffle for a month now, he's 7 months and acclimating to his new enclosure well. He's had a pink tint to the tip of his snout/nose for the entirety of that month. Some days it's barely visible, some days not so much.

Every time I think its healing it comes back the next day. I've kept a close eye on him to make sure he isn't rubbing his snout on the glass so I'm sure that's not what is causing it. I've got aspen chips as substrate with sphagnum moss on top. Is there anything anyone knows that could be causing him this irritation? I'm kind of at a loss for determining what it could be, my last thought would be the substrate so I'm open to trying out a couple different kinds.

Thank you in advance for the help!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: 7 month BTS pink tint to nose/snout

Postby mb606587 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:55 pm

Some BTS do have more of a pinkish tint to the nose. Or it could be that he's rubbing it off the glass. Obviously you can't be there to watch 24/7. Wouldn't worry too much about it. Post a picture if you can. As for your substrate, what type of BTS do you have? If it is one of the various types of Indonesian species, then aspen isn't an ideal choice as it holds humidity poorly. Cypress mulch or organic potting soil blended with the spaghnum moss would make for a better substrate. If you have a Northern, then humidity isn't as much of an issue, however, some have observed that aspen can irritate their skinks and lead to sneezing and dusty conditions. So changing your substrate as you are already considering to the ones mentioned above wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”