Lethargic

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Stacey2301
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Lethargic

Postby Stacey2301 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 am

Hi , my bluey anakin unfortunately suffered a severe Respiratory infection last year which lead to pneumonia unfortunately this had permantly damaged his lungs so he is prone to RI which is a pain !!

A month or so ago I noticed him breathing heavily again and some damaged to some toes I took him to the vet and got treatement for the RI and surgery to remove the damaged toes . . He’s toes recovered well and he’s breathing has returned to normal . Then I noticed one eye was crusty , the vet prescribed eye drops and their working well , then I noticed a cut on his mouth took him to the vet he does not have mouth rot thank god !

So everything was going great but now he’s stopped eating , he’s very lethargic and has green poo I’m just lost tbh

I’m also ashamed to admit that my partner pointed out that the uv light may have run out :( I felt awful but it’s been a hard year personally , I have know replaced the UV. I’m trying to entice him to eat by giving him banana what else can I do????
The Viv is 4ft , 90-100 in hot end and 70-80 in the cold end. His on newspaper as he’s unwell and humidity is 45% he’s an Indonesian.
splashy07

Re: Lethargic

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:31 am

First, sorry to hear your pet is sick. Now for the suspected reasons....newspaper is a big no-no for Indonesian species. Way too dry. Switch to cypress mulch, reptibark or a similar humidity friendly substrate. Your humidity is way too low, evident by the toe issue (too dry for proper shedding) and the persistent RIs. What are your temps? Recommended 95+ basking and 70+ humidity.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:33 am

Sorry, just read that you included your temps which seem fine. The humidity is an issue that should be addressed though.
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:22 am

Agreed. Most of the issues described are caused with inadequate humidity. It's good to know what subspecies of Indonesian BTS you have. Most need humidity levels at 60%, others need it even higher closer to 100%. Post a picture if you're unsure.
Stacey2301
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Stacey2301 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:45 am

He’s only on newspaper at the moment as that was suggested by the vet to avoid infection whilst the toes are healing, in regards to humidity I can try and up the humidity however the humidity was extremely higher when he initially got the RI and the vet suggested my humidity was too high . He’s worse today it’s almost as though he’s given up and it’s truly breaking my heart my next day off isn’t until Tuesday and I’m not sure he’ll make it . Iv had him 4 years and I’m spent my savings on him but the truth is I’m out of money and time
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:14 pm

Post a picture of your BTS. It's hard to help you when we don't even know what subspecies you have. Again as I said before, some NEED higher humidity to thrive and 45% for some of these subspecies WILL NOT cut it regardless of what your vet is telling you. If you had a Northern BTS, then yes high humidity levels could be harmful and 45% would be perfect, but you have a tropical Indonesian species, probably wild caught, that comes from a climate where the relative humidity is between 70%-90%, simple google search, so I don't understand how your vet is coming to that conclusion. If he is in the dire condition you are describing, unfortunately a quick fix usually isn't the answer. Your skink probably needs treatment to survive so working something out with your vet like a payment plan, is going to be your best solution if you want to keep your BTS alive. Maybe seek out a different vet that has extensive history treating reptiles. I'm going to link the caresheet for the Halmahera BTS, one of the most commonly imported BTS out there so you can see what the living conditions truly need to be...viewtopic.php?f=73&t=29521
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:40 pm

No need to post the picture. You did it in another thread years ago. You definitely have a Halmahera as I suspected. Unfortunately, the humidity is the problem. What is the diet like and are you providing any vitamin supplementation?
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:33 pm

If getting him to the vet isn't an option for you as you say, my only advice left would be to keep the temperatures and humidity high, even at night. At this point, ditch the newspapers and opt for an appropriate substrate. Coconut coir is excellent. Higher temperatures and high humidity can help stave off an infection if it's not too serious. The humidity needs to be 80% or higher. Cover the screen top so there is minimal ventilation to keep the heat and humidity trapped in the enclosure. If you are truly concerned that he has only days to live, then you need to take every effort possible to keep him warm so he has a fighting chance. You can use Neosporin or some other antibiotic ointment on the toes if they have not healed over yet.
Janella
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Your poor baby. I will pray that he gets through this. I highly recommend doing what was suggested in earlier posts. Please keep us updated.
Stacey2301
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Stacey2301 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:46 am

Just been to the vets , btw the vets I go to is trinity vets is a well recognised vets for exotic Animals and the only one within miles of wear I live.

Anakin has sepsis and multiple infections he’s also lost so much weight he’s not well at all he’s in a lot of pain the vet offered a 30% chance of survival and quoted me anywhere from 800-1000 depending on how things go . They want me to call back tomorrow to decide if I can commit to the money or if he needs to be put down. They also don’t offer payment plans for exotic animals to put it bluntly in screwed .
Janella
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Janella » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:14 am

I am so sorry. I know his isn't an easy decision for you. Sending hugs
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:27 am

:cry: I'm really sorry. It's a long shot at this point and in his condition, but see if there are any reptile rescue groups in your area that would agree to take him. Even if they refuse, trying is better than doing nothing.
Stacey2301
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Stacey2301 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:23 am

Unfortunately it’s with great sadness that I admit I had to put anakin to sleep , their is only one sanctuary near me that will take reptiles but they admitted they could not afford that level of care as their a charity based on donations . I spoke to the vet this morning he’s in a lot of pain so I made what I believe was the only choice I could . I feel heartbroken but thank you for your help
Janella
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Janella » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 am

I am so sorry for your loss. I know this probably wasn't an easy choice for you to make. Know in your heart he isn't suffering any more. May his loving memories live on in your hearts forever.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:02 am

Very sorry. God bless.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”