Mouth scab?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ncbiggins
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Mouth scab?

Postby ncbiggins » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm

My blue tongue skink has reacuring mouth build up on both sides, it easily comes off with a washcloth but I’m still concerned it could be more than just built up food and or bedding. Her appetite is normal and she is otherwise healthy. She eats wet cat food and all sorts of vegetables and occasional fruit if that helps discover the cause of the “scab things”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Mouth scab?

Postby mb606587 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:57 pm

Nothing to be concerned about...Some BTS for whatever reason tend to accumulate all types of stuck shed, food, and gunk buildup around their mouths like that. Many people experience this problem. One of mine has been notorious with it for years. Unfortunately, I have not found a long term solution that works so keep wiping it off. Some people will tell you that its the food that you're feeding. Wet foods cause substrate and buildup to stick. I've found with mine, that it occurs regardless of what I feed.
ncbiggins
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ncbiggins » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Thanks for the quick response, I apriciate it. I guess I’ll just keep doing the usually wash cloth wipe.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:45 am

Yes, just looks like a bit of crud, nothing to worry about. Mine seem to accumulate a bit at times right before a shed.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”