Sneezing

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
sunny
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Sneezing

Postby sunny » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:11 am

Hey!
So my Merauke started sneezing a lot yesterday (like every 20 seconds for a short amount of time, maybe 3 to 4 minutes.)
I wasn‘t very worried; maybe he got something stuck in his nose and couldn’t get rid of it.
But now (and it’s 8AM right now) he‘s doing it again.
His cage is around 90°on the hot side, at night it drops to 70°. I keep him on a mixture of Repti Bark and Coconut Fiber.
The only thing I changed like 3 days ago was the fact that I bought a new spraying bottle which also means that I‘ve been spraying his enclosure a bit more the last 3 days.
There are no fluids or bubbles coming out of his mouth/nose and he‘s very active.
I hope someone has an idea what the problem could be
kingofnobbys
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: Sneezing

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:08 am

This can be an indication a dusty substrate (the dust gets into the nose and makes them a bit sneezy). Fine grade Kritters Krumble is prone to being very dusty , the issue might be the coco fibre you are using.

It can also be an indication of an URI.
mb606587
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mb606587 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:09 pm

Yeah it's possible it could be the substrate as kingofnobbys pointed out. Others who have experienced this issue have had success simply by changing to a different bedding. Cypress mulch would work well for a Merauke so if the problem persists, I would start there to rule that out. If it is a respiratory infection, keep an eye out for additional signs. Mucus discharge, wheezing, gaping to breathe, droopy eyes would mean a trip to the vet.
sunny
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby sunny » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:02 am

Alright, thank you!
I'll try changing the substrate then. His eyes and everything else seem fine.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”