Heat lamp broke before I am going away, will a heat mat do until I get back?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Taliats
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Heat lamp broke before I am going away, will a heat mat do until I get back?

Postby Taliats » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:45 am

So I am going away for two weeks in a few hours and my heat lamp has came loose and fell out of its mount, the thing is now broken completely.

I do have a few spare heat mats because I also keep a scorpion, will one of the spare heat mats be enough until I come back? If so, where should I put it? my skink is in a wooden vivarium with a glass front.
splashy07

Re: Heat lamp broke before I am going away, will a heat mat do until I get back?

Postby splashy07 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 am

Being that you will be absent for two weeks I assume there will be a caretaker for your pet? Could that person possibly install a new fixture? I have to say I know nothing about heat mats being used on wood cages as I've never used either.
Taliats
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Heat lamp broke before I am going away, will a heat mat do until I get back?

Postby Taliats » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:59 am

The person looking after her said he has a spare heat lamp so he will probably be able to use that until I get back.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:14 am

Glad to hear, it was the only solution I could think of. Have a nice vacation!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Yikes, yeah don't do that. Having the person replace the light fixture should be an easy enough solution and BY FAR the best. Not only are heat mats generally not advised to be used on wooden enclosures but depending on the size of the mat, the thickness of the wood, and the depth of the substrate, who knows how effective it would even be. There's so many variables involved that slapping one on and hoping for the best is asking for trouble. I use heat tape underneath some of my wooden enclosures, but I wouldn't dare throw one of my animals in without first monitoring temperatures for a few days prior.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”