Is this a Kei Island?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Lbradford32
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Is this a Kei Island?

Postby Lbradford32 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:28 am

Purchased my buddy Dink as a Kei Island just looking for some clarification, help is welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07

Re: Is this a Kei Island?

Postby splashy07 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:49 am

Looks like an Irian Jaya to me. Definitely not KI
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:54 am

Second look I realized its a baby, could be hard to tell at this age but I still think it more resembles an IJ.. I've seen some KI babies that do look similar however.
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:09 am

Yeah that doesn't look like a Kei Island to me but Kei babies will look like standard Indonesians and then start developing the unique coloring and freckling at around 3 months. If that is the case it will become obvious. Kei Islands are some of the most beautiful and unique BTS there are.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:51 am

Agree with that, and unfortunately not as common as some of the other Indos.
Lbradford32
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Lbradford32 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:20 pm

Thanks everyone he/she is starting to get some white freckles in the black part of its stripes,so we will see, happy no matter what it is. Favorite reptile I’ve owned to date. Got it for $125 so can’t complain and it’s doing great.
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:20 pm

That is 120% a Kei Island Blue Tongue Skink(Tiliqua gigas keyensis).
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Strictly curiosity, what are the signs you see that makes you so sure?
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Postby Dakota » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:56 pm

ML is correct -- juvenile keyensis.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:53 pm

So again, I'd like to know on what basis you make that determination. I believe for a question on a species determination like this one, there ought to be an explanation as to how you came to that certain conclusion. This will lend more credibility to your response and hopefully somebody reading can learn something new. So I will start:

I'm ruling out Irian Jaya due to one main characteristic. Those legs are heavy on the black and very lightly speckled white, usually indicative of a gigas species. Now the thickness of those bands do resemble Irian Jaya, but that unique marking on the neck is also a characteristic of a gigas.

At first glance, I would also say this animal could be a Merauke. However those bands are a bit thicker than what you typically see (although I've seen some Meraukes and Halmaheras for that matter with similar banding and some of that mottling in between) and I agree that the unique neck marking is more representative of a Kei Island.

So we have Tiliqua gigas gigas and Tiliqua gigas keyensis left on my suspect list. I would tend to agree that if I had to pick one over the other, I'm leaning with you guys on Kei Island due to the thicker bands and markings being more typical of that species but due to the variable nature of Tiliqua gigas gigas, I don't know if I personally would say 100%, or 120%. Fortunately the answer should become very apparent really soon.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Postby Dakota » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Here is one very similar in pattern and color.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Yes that one is no doubt in my mind Kei Island and very pretty at that. The freckling on the face is very distinct. I'm not seeing any noticeable freckling on the other skink, which again sometimes doesn't develop for several months. I'm sure those colors on the one you have there will get even nicer as it ages.
Lbradford32
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Lbradford32 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:30 pm

Closer up picture maybe this will help
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:46 pm

I keep seeing Irian Jaya every time I see this skink! If it wasn't for those legs and the trident like marking on the neck, I'd be sure of it. Those bands are too thick to be Classic Indonesian or Tiliqua gigas gigas. That unique trident marking and the way it goes down through some of the bands is consistent with a lot of Kei Island that I've seen so I'm going to stick with that, even with the absence of the freckling. Do you know how old?
Lbradford32
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Lbradford32 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Not sure on age haven’t been able to get into contact with the breeder since purchase, have tried asking though. Definitely young though, I’ve had it about a month and a half
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:39 pm

You sure it was "bred"? Not many people out there breeding this species. I'd imagine if its truly CBB, you'd have paid good money for it.
Lbradford32
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Lbradford32 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:55 pm

Yeah it may not be captive bred, should’ve probably put seller instead of breeder. I’m new to the skink world lol I’m pleased no matter the breed just curious what you guys thought.
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:54 pm

The thick high contrast banding, the eyebands, the speckles in between the bands, and the fact that you can see where the animal will turn green and red all indicate that this is T. g. keyensis.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Lbradford32
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Lbradford32 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:43 am

I’m assuming they are rare considering I can’t find any care info or much about them
Efferalgan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Efferalgan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:14 am

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:the fact that you can see where the animal will turn green and red

I have a young keyensis that looks like the picture, would you care to explain how to determine what are the areas that will turn green and red?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”