Healthy weight for a Merauke?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Kitiara
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Healthy weight for a Merauke?

Postby Kitiara » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:54 pm

I got Blue back from the vet Saturday and they weighed her while she was there- 1,146 grams! What is a healthy weight for a Merauke? I haven’t measured her yet due to not wanting to stress her out more than necessary, so I’m hoping y’all can ballpark it for me how much is a normal weight?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Healthy weight for a Merauke?

Postby mb606587 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:28 pm

That's pretty heavy but not unheard of for an adult Merauke. Definitely not underweight though that's for sure. Most Meraukes are in the 800-1000 gram range, but I've seen some truly monster specimens that are probably bigger. I usually do the eyeball test. Post a picture from above and we can probably tell you whether your skink looks healthy and is well proportioned for its size.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Screenshot_20181217-234340.png

Found a picture you posted on the other thread so did it for ya. Looks perfectly healthy to me for the size!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Suzle87
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:56 pm

mb606587 wrote:Screenshot_20181217-234340.png

Found a picture you posted on the other thread so did it for ya. Looks perfectly healthy to me for the size!

This is going to be my go to weight test from now on, mine looks similar to this I think, il post a pic when I get chance to take one. Does anyone have any success here actually weighing their skink? I’ve got two types of scales in the hopes of keeping him in one place long enough but no joy with either now he’s a big boy!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:18 am

I haven't weighed any of my big bluetongues for several years , or my dragon or water skink for about 6 months.

My technique is for my big dragons or BTs
> find 1.5L shallow food tub
> deposit lizard in the tub on the chair next to you(some where it feels comfortable) make sure the entire lizard is in the tub
> pace tub on glass topped kitchen scales (the lower profile the better)
> take weight (lizard and tub)
> take lizard out weight empty tub , you can now get the lizard's weight.

for babies . hatchlings and very active / skittish lizards who are smaller then 100g
> find a take away food container with snap on lid or a Tupperware clikclak tub if it's very strong and likely to push the lid off if it's not fastened securely
> tare scale (above) with empty tub
> lizard into tub , lid on quickly so it doesn't leap out
> weight of lizard is read off directly

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”