Need HELP!!!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
gebbb
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Need HELP!!!

Postby gebbb » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:07 pm

I recently went away for the holidays and left my Blue Tongue in the hands of my buddy from school. He owns a hedgehog and has basic care experience. When I arrived home I noticed a number of concerning marks on my skink, including a rather concerning one on his stomach.Images here: https://imgur.com/gallery/8CSnLgo . I am well aware that my friend made many mistakes, but there is nothing I can do to change the past. I am extremely worried and unsure as to what these marks are. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you so much in advance!
mb606587

Re: Need HELP!!!

Postby mb606587 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:09 pm

I'm thinking burns. Not sure what else it could be. What do you use to heat? Heatmats or electric rocks?
gebbb
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby gebbb » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:11 pm

mb606587 wrote:I'm thinking burns. Not sure what else it could be. What do you use to heat? Heatmats or electric rocks?

I use a heat lamp. There is no under belly temperature within his environment. Is there anything else it could be??
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:43 pm

If not burns it's possible the hedgehog or some other pet got to it. Those don't look like fresh wounds. I'd be more worried about an infection than those wounds at this point. The wounds will heal. Swabbing it with Betadine would help prevent it from becoming infected if it's not already. Make sure the heat is appropriate for healing. As a precaution I'd remove substrate and keep him on paper towels until it does heal and if you notice it's getting any worse or not healing, get it to a vet.
gebbb
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby gebbb » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:00 pm

mb606587 wrote:If not burns it's possible the hedgehog or some other pet got to it. Those don't look like fresh wounds. I'd be more worried about an infection than those wounds at this point. The wounds will heal. Swabbing it with Betadine would help prevent it from becoming infected. Make sure the heat is appropriate for healing. As a precaution I'd remove substrate and keep him on paper towels until it does heal and if you notice it's getting any worse or not healing, get it to a vet.

Sounds good. Thank you so much for the help!
mb606587

Postby mb606587 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Is that pus coming out of the belly wound in the second picture?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”