Powersun H.I.D

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Powersun H.I.D

Postby splashy07 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:48 am

Thought I'd share this, just purchased two of these for my desert dwellers, they are BRIGHT! You are able to touch the fixtures, they are not overly hot. With a 12" (minimum) distance from basking area they do not overheat the surface. I've only had them two days, but so far I like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Powersun H.I.D

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:56 pm

Found this regarding the combo Powersun HID 70W MHL performance
For an UNOBSTRUCTED globe.

Very narrow focused beam of UV cf a MVB.

I see you have very fine mesh under the globe , this will reduce the performance by 45%.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:20 am

Whatever...I like it.
aaronhouts
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby aaronhouts » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:22 am

...and we wonder why most of the veteran BTS keepers don’t post here anymore...
That is one cute little guy, Splashy!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks, Aaron! I purchased the lights for brightness, I use supplements for D3 as I do not believe any light can duplicate the sun. And have been very successful without, regardless of my doing everything by the book back in the 90's when I kept my first bearded dragon. Three kinds of lights with all kinds of uvb and he got MBD. From that day forward I did not use uvb, used supplements instead and never had another such instance. So, I go by my own experience, not the writings of others. And I suggest you all do the same.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:50 pm

splashy07 wrote:Thanks, Aaron! I purchased the lights for brightness, I use supplements for D3 as I do not believe any light can duplicate the sun. And have been very successful without, regardless of my doing everything by the book back in the 90's when I kept my first bearded dragon. Three kinds of lights with all kinds of uvb and he got MBD. From that day forward I did not use uvb, used supplements instead and never had another such instance. So, I go by my own experience, not the writings of others. And I suggest you all do the same.

Can't comment on that other than I believe from talking to old bearded dragon breeders who have been breeding them for over 20 yrs it's been mentioned that it was thought back in the 80s and 90s (?) that 5% UVB sources were considered adequate (and I think these may have been the most powerful available (???) then. They now advocate 10% UVB or 12% UVB T5 tubes .

I expect perhaps the same might be applicable to BTs , some even advocate no UV light just a basking globe and supplementation with calcium and vitamins fortified in VitD3 for their skinks , if that works for them and they are getting healthy skinks - may the force be with them . I personally like to give my skinks each a 26W UVB200 for UVA & UVB and so far so good.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”