When to Worry? Skink Refusing Food

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

When to Worry? Skink Refusing Food

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:25 pm

Hey All,
I've seen lots of posts recently about Nothern skink refusing food, which is normal at this time of year considering that skinks will attempt to brumate November-December. My question is, when do I start to worry about my skink's lack of appetite?
My 1.5 y/o Nothern has not eaten in 3 weeks aside from a few superworms that he gladly devoured. He has refused everything else: four different kinds of dog food, repashy bluey buffet, omnigold, strawberries, bananas, dandilion greens, you NAME it. Normally he absolutely loves all these foods!! But the only thing I've been able to get him to eat is a few superworms.
I am wondering, when do their appetites return to normal? When should I start to be concerned? He has been more active than usual and basking more than usual, so otherwise he is acting perfectly healthy!
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: When to Worry? Skink Refusing Food

Postby Y33T » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:55 pm

They normally start eating again by late winter/early spring. So to you that’s around February-March. One of my skinks also refuses everything else but superworms and is still active but the other will not eat anything and stay in his hide for months until spring. Try not to feed him because it’s too cold for him to digest and he can get sick when the food begins to rot in his stomach. Give him a warm soak for 20-30mins until he poops.
Keep a close eye on his weight, if he starts losing weight that’s when you should begin to worry. They can lose a fair bit but if he’s continuously losing weight, take him to a reptile vet ASAP.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
Raven_Vivi
Mad Apothecary
Mad Apothecary

Postby Raven_Vivi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Mine will brumate for months on end without eating no matter what I do.

I'd just check on him once or twice a week and make sure the temps are still in range and he still has access to fresh water.
If he doesn't want to eat, I wouldn't force him so long as he's still looking healthy.
I am the crazy lady~ ^_^

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. ~Andre Gide

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought. ~Matsuo Basho
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:08 pm

The few times my Irian Jaya brumated, she usually went from early December to February, some years into March. A few months is the norm.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:02 am

Same for my Northerns and Easterns. If they do exhibit brumating behavior, just let them. Mine are all down except the asperas and my one northern and one eastern that are not yet a year old.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”