Page 1 of 1

Is my blue tongue sick?

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:55 am
by Oliven333
Hi! First post so I hope I’m doing this right...!

I’ve had my merauke blue tongue skink for about 3 months now. His name is Fernando (4 months old).
He came to me together with his sibling who sadly died a few days after arriving, from what we believe was a repiratory infection... :(
Recently I’ve noticed Fernando getting bubbles in his eyes sometimes (often when he wakes up). And when breathing I sometimes hear a weird clicking sound. I’ve read these can be signs of RI.
It’s difficult finding a vet who knows about reptiles close to where I live (Sweden), so I’m not sure what to do? Is this serious? Can I do something myself or should I try finding a vet asap?

He still eats as much as always and I feed him every other day. He sleeps a lot, but when he is up, he acts like usual.

Thanks for answering.
//Olivia G

(Video of his breathing: https://youtu.be/ICCalDO9DjY )

Re: Is my blue tongue sick?

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:57 pm
by splashy07
Looks like this one has the signs of an RI also, not an easy thing to cure without veterinary care. Meraukes need high humidity, what substrate are you using? What are your temps? Recent imports are very prone to RIs, especially if their husbandry requirements are not met. I would definitely seek veterinary care, but in the meantime keep your temps and humidity on high end (humidity 70+ and temps 95+). Could you post a picture of your current setup?

Re: Is my blue tongue sick?

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:20 pm
by Oliven333
splashy07 wrote:Looks like this one has the signs of an RI also, not an easy thing to cure without veterinary care. Meraukes need high humidity, what substrate are you using? What are your temps? Recent imports are very prone to RIs, especially if their husbandry requirements are not met. I would definitely seek veterinary care, but in the meantime keep your temps and humidity on high end (humidity 70+ and temps 95+). Could you post a picture of your current setup?


Thank you for answering so quickly. I will contact the closest vet tomorrow.
The basking spot is about 36°C and the cool side is 27°C. I’ve got a heat mat for him that’s always on.
The substrate I use is a mix between exo-terra’s coco husk (3/4) and plantation soil (1/4). I’ve got some forest moss in the corner he likes to burrow in as well.
I try keeping the humidity at 60%. Sometimes it drops while I’m in school, but I’ve got a mister going a few times an hour.
This is what my set up looks like:

Re: Is my blue tongue sick?

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:23 pm
by mb606587
Choice of substrate is appropriate, temperatures are good, set up looks solid, only thing I'd change is adding more substrate for burrowing. I also agree that you should seek out a vet.