Skink not Eating
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:27 pm
Hey everybody. My fiance and I bought Basilisk just this Saturday gone, so we've had about a week to get used to his usual habits. This is our first reptile, nevermind just our first BTS, so any and all advice is appreciated!
Our routine is that I get up and get ready for work at 6am. I turn on his UVB and do a visual check on him. My fiance gets up around 11am, being a shift worker, and feeds him. When I get home between 4 and 6pm I check on him and check his food. At 6pm I turn off his UVB. The heat lamp, attached to a thermostat, stays on.
Every night so far the vast majority of his food has been gone. He's only 6 months so to our understanding he should be eating every day. Today when I got home his food was untouched.
My fiance got up at 4am to use the bathroom and did a quick check on him. Bas had burrowed into the substrate below his hide. At 6am when I checked on him he was still burrowed. When I got home just now he's still burrowed, though I think he may have moved and reburrowed in the same spot as the substrate was slightly disturbed and he was more uncovered.
He's still breathing and when I poked his tail he shifted under the substrate, so he's responding to touch. The local temperature for the last week has been between 20 and 24 degrees Celsius (68 to 75 Fahrenheit) with his heat lamp keeping the enclosures cool side at 28C (82F).
The last two days it's been hotter, 38C (100F) outside with the enclosures cool side reaching a high of 32C (89F) today because for some unknown reason the thermostat didn't turn off when it was meant to.
With his extended burrowing, which he had barely done previously and only partially buried instead of totally, and the fact that he hasn't eaten today I'm somewhat worried he's not well.
So please, if anyone could tell me whether he's sick or simply overheated that would be very much appreciated.
As of now his heat lamp is turned off so that the temperature can drop to a more comfortable level.
Our routine is that I get up and get ready for work at 6am. I turn on his UVB and do a visual check on him. My fiance gets up around 11am, being a shift worker, and feeds him. When I get home between 4 and 6pm I check on him and check his food. At 6pm I turn off his UVB. The heat lamp, attached to a thermostat, stays on.
Every night so far the vast majority of his food has been gone. He's only 6 months so to our understanding he should be eating every day. Today when I got home his food was untouched.
My fiance got up at 4am to use the bathroom and did a quick check on him. Bas had burrowed into the substrate below his hide. At 6am when I checked on him he was still burrowed. When I got home just now he's still burrowed, though I think he may have moved and reburrowed in the same spot as the substrate was slightly disturbed and he was more uncovered.
He's still breathing and when I poked his tail he shifted under the substrate, so he's responding to touch. The local temperature for the last week has been between 20 and 24 degrees Celsius (68 to 75 Fahrenheit) with his heat lamp keeping the enclosures cool side at 28C (82F).
The last two days it's been hotter, 38C (100F) outside with the enclosures cool side reaching a high of 32C (89F) today because for some unknown reason the thermostat didn't turn off when it was meant to.
With his extended burrowing, which he had barely done previously and only partially buried instead of totally, and the fact that he hasn't eaten today I'm somewhat worried he's not well.
So please, if anyone could tell me whether he's sick or simply overheated that would be very much appreciated.
As of now his heat lamp is turned off so that the temperature can drop to a more comfortable level.