Fractured Hard Palate, Injured BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Lizard Mama
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Fractured Hard Palate, Injured BTS

Postby Lizard Mama » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:52 pm

UPDATE: Little guy is doing well in some aspects, not so well in others.

He has gained weight to be almost 400 grams which is a gain of over 100 grams from his original weight. His fracture has healed! He is becoming more and more active and alert. He doesn’t have any unhealed injuries left. He tries to follow me around the yard.

He is on critter care and urgent care pet food. With occasional Herpecare.

He cannot hunt because his tongue is compromised to the point where he can’t extend it. He cannot eat live food. I have no problem feeding him and he has adjusted to the syringe feeding and seems to look forward to it. He doesn’t poo often but when he does it’s normal. I let him free roam outside during the day.

I give him the occasional pain relief (once every few days).

But... he has been walking in circles with his head cocked as if he’s grabbing a snail. To the point where he rolls up like a cinnamon roll. I have no idea what’s going on.

UGH.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:17 pm

Well the important thing is that he's eating. My guess is that as long as he cannot take live food that he'll have to remain in captivity. Hopefully in time, he will recover fully. Interesting about the circling behavior. Here is a thread from a few years back detailing the same behavior after a dog attack... viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22591&p=420354&hilit=walking+in+circles#p420354
Lizard Mama
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lizard Mama » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:44 pm

mb606587 wrote:Well the important thing is that he's eating. My guess is that as long as he cannot take live food that he'll have to remain in captivity. Hopefully in time, he will recover fully. Interesting about the circling behavior. Here is a thread from a few years back detailing the same behavior after a dog attack... viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22591&p=420354&hilit=walking+in+circles#p420354

Thank you. He is not circling as much today and is hiding himself straighter. There are so many possibilities - I have to rely on his will to survive this. So far he is showing me he will do whatever it takes. So I will persist as long as he is trying.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Lizard Mama wrote:UPDATE: Little guy is doing well in some aspects, not so well in others.

He has gained weight to be almost 400 grams which is a gain of over 100 grams from his original weight. His fracture has healed! He is becoming more and more active and alert. He doesn’t have any unhealed injuries left. He tries to follow me around the yard.

He is on critter care and urgent care pet food. With occasional Herpecare.

He cannot hunt because his tongue is compromised to the point where he can’t extend it. He cannot eat live food. I have no problem feeding him and he has adjusted to the syringe feeding and seems to look forward to it. He doesn’t poo often but when he does it’s normal. I let him free roam outside during the day.

I give him the occasional pain relief (once every few days).

But... he has been walking in circles with his head cocked as if he’s grabbing a snail. To the point where he rolls up like a cinnamon roll. I have no idea what’s going on.

UGH.

Sounds like he's one who will never survive in the wild if released, he's now your special needs rescued pet for the rest of his life. I've done this with a few rescues too, I simply keep them "off the books" wrt the keepers' record book (this prevents "complications").

Going in circles , could be an inner ear issue related to either the original injuries or a subsequent inner ear infection (a reptile vet should check this out and some antibiotics may clear that issue up).
Lizard Mama
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lizard Mama » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:35 am

May have found the problem.

He is trying to shed. The skin under his jaw was really tight and I’ve noticed he is feeling rough. Especially across the back.

Started shedding behind his rear legs, shed tail area today. Rubbed under his jaw (he loves that) and skin started to release! Now he is much more flexible. It must have been pulling. I’ll make sure he sheds naturally but will keep him hydrated with daily soaks and he gets a few body rubs each day because he loves it. Also using a shed spray.

ETA I will take him in for an ear check. The vet took 4 ticks out of his ears and there was quite a bit of old skin that hadn’t been shed that was taken out with the ticks. There could be a reaction.
Cyberlizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Cyberlizard » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:28 pm

I found that a little make shift humid hide helps a ton with shedding. I just have a Tupperware container big enough for my girl to fit in comfortably, with a hole cut into the side of it and a few holes on the lid so the water doesn't get stagnant. I put some damp sphagnum moss into it and she goes into it whenever she pleases, haven't had any trouble with sheds since putting it into her cage. Might be something your guy would like!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:11 am

The shedding issue is most likely due to scar tissue at the injury site. Not a lot you can do about that other than give plenty of time for the site to heal and soften up.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”