Not eating

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Not eating

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:07 pm

My skink hasnt eaten in a week, it's getting cold around here atleast 30 degrees so I dont know if that has anything to do with it. I've tried feeding him twice and he just licks it and walks away. I keep the heat lamp on all day and he does bask, I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe the cold is messing with his appetite?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Not eating

Postby mb606587 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Yep cold weather will affect its appetite. When its too cold, they can't digest their food properly, so instinctively they will not eat. Some species enter into a sort of hibernation mode called "brumation" during this time of year. They will refuse food for several weeks to several months and stay mostly inactive. Do you know what type you own? And also, do you have a way to monitor the temperatures in your enclosure and how do you do it?
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:32 pm

Hey.
This is an extremely weird coincidence?????????
My username also contains Boris in it. And as of last week, my skink has stopped eating as much. I was just about to make a post about it! I have also wondered if its due to the weather, even though temperature have remained the same in his tank.
Glad I am not alone.
I hope my guy is okay.
Kruzeau
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kruzeau » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:54 pm

How old is your skink? Could be a combination of age and him trying to brumate. Maybe try mixing in some banana or some fruit the little guy really likes, it might coax him out of bed :)

I hope both of your little guys are okay :)
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:01 pm

A few threads on this topic from the FAQ section at the top of this forum:

BTS not eating?
Brumation 1
Brumation 2
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks for the links!
I feel much less worried now, lol.
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:17 pm

mb606587 wrote:Yep cold weather will affect its appetite. When its too cold, they can't digest their food properly, so instinctively they will not eat. Some species enter into a sort of hibernation mode called "brumation" during this time of year. They will refuse food for several weeks to several months and stay mostly inactive. Do you know what type you own? And also, do you have a way to monitor the temperatures in your enclosure and how do you do it?

I just ordered a thermometer and I try to keep my room heated but it's kinda hard when outside its 20 degrees :| and he's a northern blue tongue skink. I usually leave him alone and he stays in one store for a while, I'm not sure if I should leave him alone or place him in his banking spot..
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:18 pm

xXxBORISxXx wrote:Hey.
This is an extremely weird coincidence?????????
My username also contains Boris in it. And as of last week, my skink has stopped eating as much. I was just about to make a post about it! I have also wondered if its due to the weather, even though temperature have remained the same in his tank.
Glad I am not alone.
I hope my guy is okay.

Yeah Haha I named my skink boris! As you can see in the first post someone made they did say it could be weather, hope yours is okay too!
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Kruzeau wrote:How old is your skink? Could be a combination of age and him trying to brumate. Maybe try mixing in some banana or some fruit the little guy really likes, it might coax him out of bed :)

I hope both of your little guys are okay :)

He's about a year and maybe 7-8 months? I haven't kept track :lol: for some reason mine really doesnt like bananas or strawberries, he likes blueberries though so I'll try that!
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Susann wrote:A few threads on this topic from the FAQ section at the top of this forum:

BTS not eating?
Brumation 1
Brumation 2

Thank you!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:47 am

Northerns may brumate this time of year regardless of temps in your tank. Once past a year old and sometimes even before, their appetite wanes prior. Perfectly normal behavior for a Northern.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:54 am

How old is the UV source ?

I ask because if it's older than 6 months old most brands and types of UV (fluorescent type) globes and tubes experience phosphor decay and their output of both UVA and UVB will drop off considerably and to the extent that the reptile is no longer receiving sufficient exposure to UVA and this will have a impact on a reptiles appetite and food intake (amongst other issues).
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:55 am

kingofnobbys wrote:How old is the UV source ?

I ask because if it's older than 6 months old most brands and types of UV (fluorescent type) globes and tubes experience phosphor decay and their output of both UVA and UVB will drop off considerably and to the extent that the reptile is no longer receiving sufficient exposure to UVA and this will have a impact on a reptiles appetite and food intake (amongst other issues).

I had UVB when I first got him but once the bulb passed out I havent used anymore, I was told that they dont need it. Should I buy another one?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:51 pm

I don't believe in your case this has anything to do with a lack of uvb lighting. The reason I asked you what species of Blue Tongue you have is to see whether you have a Northern or one of the various species of Indonesian that do not typically brumate. As was stated above, Northerns DO brumate, and typically they go down in November. So very normal behavior. Some breeders will even turn off heat and lights during this time, UVB lights included, although if your skink is still basking for a few hours a day, its not really that necessary to do.

BlueTongueBoris wrote: I'm not sure if I should leave him alone or place him in his banking spot..

I'd leave him alone. No need to force him to bask. Typically they prefer to stay burrowed throughout the winter.

BlueTongueBoris wrote: I had UVB when I first got him but once the bulb passed out I havent used anymore, I was told that they dont need it. Should I buy another one?

My opinion on this is if you only have one BTS, then sure why not? But I don't use UVB light on all of my skinks, (if I only had one or two, I would use it). Many long time keepers and breeders haven't used UVB on their skinks and reported no issues as long as the correct diet is provided. It is generally recommended, but if the diet and supplementation is provided, there hasn't been any evidence that it is absolutely necessary. I haven't noticed any differences, behavior or health, between the skinks that I provide UVB to and the ones that I don't.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Totally agree, I do not use it for any and every year at this time they stop eating or slow down right before brumation.
Lights out after Thanksgiving. Before I was breeding, I left their lights on all year and once they became of age still brumated. That's the nature of Northern behavior here in the states.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”