Fair Price Question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Bv3boy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Fair Price Question

Postby Bv3boy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:23 am

Yeah, the one pictured looks like a paradox BD. Absolutely beautiful!

With that said; is it advisable not to handle the Halmahera often outside of its enclosure? I plan to get it out at least once a day for maybe 1-2 hours. After all....it’s going to be spoiled rotten and given lots of affection and cuddles or just chill time on my shoulder. I don’t want my want to bond with it to take away from it’s health needs. Also; I’m thinking of buying a large exoterra faunarium to keep it in for a few weeks to acclimate it before placing it in the large 40 gallon tank. Plus I’d like to have it as a holding space for when I clean the terrarium. What type of heating source is recommended for the plastic faunariums?
Bv3boy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Bv3boy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:25 am

Yeah, the one pictured looks like a paradox BD. Absolutely beautiful!

With that said; is it advisable not to handle the Halmahera often outside of its enclosure? I plan to get it out at least once a day for maybe 1-2 hours. After all....it’s going to be spoiled rotten and given lots of affection and cuddles or just chill time on my shoulder. I don’t want my want to bond with it to take away from it’s health needs. Also; I’m thinking of buying a large exoterra faunarium to keep it in for a few weeks to acclimate it before placing it in the large 40 gallon tank. Plus I’d like to have it as a holding space for when I clean the terrarium. What type of heating source is recommended for the plastic faunariums?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:31 am

When I had mine I took them out plenty, but in winter when the household ambients are 65-70, I'd leave them alone. Think about it, being removed from a 90+ degree cage with close to a hundred percent humidity and suddenly in 68 degrees with 37 percent humidity....hmm, I wouldn't think he'd appreciate that. I do not use AC so in summer their cage ambients were not far off room temps. I am not familiar with the cage type you mentioned, I now use PVC cages. When I had my Halys, though, I still used glass. They were in a 30 breeder (same footprint as 40 but lower) with overhead lighting. Possibly post a picture of the said enclosure?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:02 pm

I would highly recommend that you set up your 40 gallon breeder first and monitor your humidity for a few days before you buy. 80%-90% humidity is easier said then done and has posed a challenge for a lot of people to maintain. I know from experience how frustrating and stressful it can be to realize your humidity levels are too low AFTER your skink has been living in them and try to solve the problem quickly then. Many people with Halmaheras have had to use misters and foggers to maintain proper humidity levels.

With that said, you being located in Florida, I assume can only help you with maintaining humidity. During the winters here in Philadelphia, it is very challenging and I have to use humidifiers and misters for my more sensitive species.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”