Page 1 of 1
Trying to figure out the age of my two new Meruakes.
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:06 pm
by BerserkApe
So I've just bought a "breeding" pair of Meraukes from Petco. Apparently, the only way the provider for Petco sells these lizards is by selling them in pairs to the store. Now, there were four lizards ordered. The other pair of which apparently have begun to breed in the captivity of their new owner. I'm a bit skeptical. But, I do enjoy the prospect of eventually breeding some Meraukes.
But, as it stands I have seperate tanks and etc for the reptiles. So no need for a trade on those ethics.
What I want to know.
What size are Meraukes considered adults?
The pair I bought are about 12 inches long each? Are they still young? Are they juveniles? What size do they need to be to breed length and weight wise? I know Merauke are quite a bit longer and etc. than the standard.
I just want to double check myself.
I honestly don't think they're big enough or mature enough to substantiate the claims of the staff.
But, I've only ever kept one Merauke/Bluetongue before this. But, I'm by far no novice with reptiles.
Just BTS are hard to get hold of in my area as is standard.
Re: Trying to figure out the age of my two new Meruakes.
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:36 pm
by mb606587
I would be skeptical about any claim Petco makes regarding your animals, even that they are Meraukes. Unless you are sure yourself through research or knowledge, don't assume they have given you accurate information. If you do in fact have a pair of Merauke BTS, then yes they are very much still juveniles, and not ready to breed yet. I would say wait a year, do your research, and try for next season as long as you are sure that you have two of the same subspecies (breeding hybrid BTS is universally frowned upon). Generally as adults, these guys will measure out to 24"+ (my smallest is 22"). So your guys have plenty of growing left to do. And don't assume you have a male and female just because that's what they were sold to you as. Its pretty much impossible to tell gender until you get breeding behaviors, and as somebody much wiser than I once told me regarding gender determination, you can't be sure until you get plugs, slugs, or babies (Thanks Susann!). Yours are too young to produce any of these.
Re: Trying to figure out the age of my two new Meruakes.
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:00 pm
by BerserkApe
I came to the conclusion their Meraukes myself do to the tail shape and color pattern. The only reason I trust any of them are that three of the employees are people I know off the clock. Equal reptile enthusiasts who know I have an interest in BTS. When I get some better pics and break them in I'll post pictures for color patterns to confirm with you guys.
But, as it stands thank you for your opinion. This let's me plan more properly for the next year or so.
Re: Trying to figure out the age of my two new Meruakes.
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:22 am
by kingofnobbys
Photos .
From overtop
each side
and their weights and lengths (nose to vent).
Re: Trying to figure out the age of my two new Meruakes.
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:34 pm
by BerserkApe
I'm going to wait a year for any idea of breeding. I'm going to sit with my gut and post pictures so we can identify them as a species.
They were pretty warmed up and flighty so I couldn't get them to sit still.
I'll be separating them very soon. At the moment for better temperature control I'm going to partisan a 40 gallon breeder I have. If they get aggressive (which there have been no signs) I've got plenty of individual 20 gallons to separate them before then.
Re: Trying to figure out the age of my two new Meruakes.
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:36 pm
by BerserkApe
https://imgur.com/gAgZcgjFile wouldn't load on here for size issues. So I went to imgur. This is the female from the side.
Better pictures forth coming. They're still settling in I'm not going to keep stressing them. They've had their "handling" for today.
Re: Trying to figure out the age of my two new Meruakes.
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:46 pm
by mb606587
Yeah they do appear to be Meraukes. Having a little trouble seeing the belly on your female to confirm but I'd still guess Merauke and I have no doubt with your male. Impressed that your buddies at the pet store were able to ID them.
Re: Trying to figure out the age of my two new Meruakes.
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:06 pm
by BerserkApe
They're all reptile enthusiasts who have to take what jobs they can get unfortunately.
They each have extensive collections (more than me) just different focuses.
We like to swap info and regularly help people rehome/study, gain equipment, and what not for exotics.
Mainly because all the mom and pop stores in my area closed up. About the only two that are reasonable are 45 minutes away in either direction.
So Petco is where everybody goes for info. They do realize the stigma people have against Petco and they even hate the practices of their store. But, jobs are jobs in this economy.
I like to call them "Starving" herpers.
Re: Trying to figure out the age of my two new Meruakes.
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
by mb606587
Its not so much even Petco. Go to any reptile show or even online reptile distributor and you're going to see false information. Its the nature of this beast unfortunately. Especially when it comes to Indonesian Blue Tongue Skinks.