Bathroom habits?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
xkillmeowx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Bathroom habits?

Postby xkillmeowx » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Can skinks just pee? I’m sure this is a stupid question but sometime while I’m holding my BTS I get something wet in my hand where his vent is. I’m not sure if this is normal. Thank you!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Bathroom habits?

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Yes …. occasionally , but if that's all he ever does , you need take him to a REPTILE VET as it's a sign something serious may be wrong.

Peeing on you can be sign that he's scared if he's new to you.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:10 pm

Oh yes they can. If I had a nickel for every time I've been peed on while holding my skink, well you get my point. I think, yes in some cases it can come down to fear, for instance if you are holding it incorrectly, but I think some individuals are just prone to do it. I have some skinks that have never peed on me, most of the ones I own in fact, and then I have one in particular, which I have owned for the longest of all my animals, that relishes the opportunity to unload on me.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:47 pm

xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 pm

Ooh yeah. When I went to get my baby skink, I held him and he immediately peed all over me LOL.
That's how I knew he was the one :lol:

A neat trick I use for avoiding this is that I buy puppy training pads from dollarama (they are super cheap). Whenever I take my skink out, I first put him on these pads to absorb any mess that he makes. After he's relieved himself, which is usually pretty soon after placing him on the mat, I feel comfortable taking him wherever because they usually go just once a day! I'm free to let him explore my bed and whatever because I know he has already relieved himself.
My skink has actually been "trained" to use these pads I think. He NEVER goes in his tank anymore, will always relieve himself soon as I put him on the pad!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:32 pm

IMO you are not serious about keeping pet lizards unless :
>>> you've been peed or pooed on (even the most tame pet lizard sometimes has an "accident" and it's always the keeper's fault (watch that tail and vent area, they go up , slip a sheet of paper towel under)
>>> you deal daily with live feeder insects
>>> you "farm" some of your own feeder insects
>>> you have a lizard snuggle from a lizard every day
>>> you have tubs full of lizard paraphenia (lights, fittings, spare hides (that have been outgrown), etc
xkillmeowx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby xkillmeowx » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:09 am

Thank you some times he pees more than once is it because he is little still? He peed a lot like 6 times one had a urate the others were just pee?
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:48 am

From your other thread I can see you new skink is a tiny one. If your little one wees on you six times --I'm not sure if you meant it was six times in one outing, but if it was, it is due to your guy being really nervous.

It's not really because he's small, and will pee less as he gets bigger --believe you me, an adult can have a shockingly large amount of wee in them!
Large or small, a skink that pees on you is a skink that is either scared or highly annoyed. If they continue "struggling" to get away when they have emptied their bladder, watch out; poo may come next, and I don't know how they accomplish it, but stress poo is usually runny and extremely smelly, and if they are free to swing their lower body because you're only holding onto the top part, they will fling that stinky poo everywhere!

When you hold a skink, large or small, you must support his hind legs and tail. That is what helps them feel secure.

HERE is a thread with pictures on how to pick up an adult skink.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”