I think my skink might be sick!!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Coreo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

I think my skink might be sick!!

Postby Coreo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:54 pm

My 6 year old IJ started her first brumation under my care about a month ago and hasn’t eaten since and she kept a pretty solid schedule of activities (basking and sleeping) but she broke that schedule a few days ago.

My worries started with me noticing that she seemed slightly dehydrated while cleaning her face with a damp q-tip one day and she started licking the tip as if her life depended on it. I keep a water bowl with fresh water in her terrarium but she only really wants to drink the water droplets from on top of her hide whenever I mist her cage the last few days. I even tried putting a second water bowl on her warm side but she’s ignoring that too. I tried offering her some cucumber but she refuses to eat.

Then she started coming out of her hide before the light came on in the morning to just lay out in the open, something she hasn’t done in a month. She doesn’t bask but instead seems to pace around trying to find a good spot to just lie down.

But then she started to act very strange.

She’s always been an odd one (as blue tongues often are) and sometimes she opens her mouth a tiny bit and stands completely still for a minute or so before continuing with whatever she was doing before. I was worried right when I got her but I didn’t notice any other signs of a RI and she’s been doing it for almost a year now.
This time though she opened her mouth slowly, slowly until it was wide open and she almost seemed to gag while shaking her head violently. I tried to look down into her throat to check if something was stuck but couldn’t see anything.
She also started pooping yesterday despite not eating for an entire month which also has me a bit worried.

I don’t see any other signs of a RI (labored breathing, drooling, crusty eyes/nose, etc) but I’m going to call a vet tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment soon but I live in Sweden and it’s already getting cold so I’m unsure how to transport her since I don’t have a car.

Has anyone heard of something similar? I think her cage might be a tad too cold right now but I’ve lived in this apartment for almost 3 months now so it’s strange that she hasn’t reacted to that until now if the temperature is the issue.

I managed to get a video of her doing the gagging/head shaking thing and I can post a link to it in case anyone wants to see it.
I’m so worried about my baby I can barely sleep ):
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: I think my skink might be sick!!

Postby mb606587 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:08 pm

I have heard of similar reactions from reptiles with mites, the restlessness and shaking heads.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: I think my skink might be sick!!

Postby mb606587 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:10 pm

As far as whether your cage is too cold, do you have a way to monitor the temperatures? And if you do, what are they reading in your basking, warm, and cool spots?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”