Springtails in Northern enclosure?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
snowsensei
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Springtails in Northern enclosure?

Postby snowsensei » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Anyone here had success doing any sort of bioactive substrate for Northerns? I'm getting a Northern and have just finished the basic set-up for him/her. I have a culture of springtail that I use for my crested gecko and I was wondering if anyone here ever tried to introduce springtails into their substrate for their skinks. I'm using cypress mulch as substrate. I would imagine they might just all die from the low humidity for Northerns... Let me know what you guys have found. Thanks :D
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Springtails in Northern enclosure?

Postby kayla990 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:08 pm

I agree that it's unlikely the springtails would survive the dry conditions. I have however heard of people using a coco coir as a base layer (kept moist, but adding a cup of water in the corner of the tank once every few days - which allows it to spread on the base mainly). Then it is then covered with the usual substrate. Could be worth a try! But it's likely it could be difficult to maintain long term or too time consuming for the benefits. Would be curious to know the results if you try :)
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:20 pm

I've never used springtails but I have tried isopods with my Meraukes. They didn't survive long and I think they have similar humidity requirements to springtails. I read once that ideally they need around 80% humidity to thrive so with a Northern, I don't think it's possible.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:45 am

Bioactives for the most part are better suited for amphibians, many gecko species, anoles, the list goes on...
I have a pretty much self sustained Cuban Anole setup in which all I have to do is change the water and mist. Superworms, Dubias and crickets breed in there and dermestids do the cleanup. Superworms and their adult beetle form also clean up, and no one eats the beetles as they taste awful... I can't see this working for a BT, and pretty much unnecessary for a cage that houses only one animal and more than likely not heavily decorated. And as stated abouve, doubtful the colony would survive conditions necessary for a Northern.
snowsensei
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby snowsensei » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Thanks guys, it sounds like it's probably not worth the effort. It would have been nice, but it does sound like the humidity issue is very hard to address. I guess they are probably better off for those with indo skinks.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”