Best Greens To Buy For Skink?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Best Greens To Buy For Skink?

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Hey guys!
I recently learned that kale and spinach, when fed to skinks too often, cause the build up of a chemical that can block the absorption of vitamin D3. Yikes!
I've been feeding fresh mixed greens to my skink which often include Kale & Spinach. Now I'm looking for alternatives. What greens do you guys feed to your skinks? Is arugula my best bet now?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Best Greens To Buy For Skink?

Postby mb606587 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:51 pm

Arugula is good. Mustard greens, bok choy, spring mix, dandelion greens, even basil. Experiment until you find something your skink will readily eat. All of mine go crazy for sweet potato and green beans as well.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:25 pm

I agree to what was already stated and mine also love dandelion, collard, and turnip greens. I alternate between which greens I feed, so my skinks always get something different.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:10 pm

This is as good a guide as any : http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I do buk or puk choi greens (shredded greens ONLY , I give the white stems to the superworms) , raw peas & green beans (chopped) , grated raw carrot and grated raw sweet potato, and in season I add dandelion (leaf and flowers and green seed pods) , nasturtion leaf and flowers, clover flowers and leaf , thistle flowers .

I've also added shredded mulberry leaves but my skinks and dragons aren't keen on the taste unless it's prechewed in silkworms (which they get nearly every day - I farm my own silkworms).
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:47 am

Mine love peas and carrots.
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks guys!
I always have trouble finding a few of those greens mentioned such as mustard greens, collard greens. Maybe because I live in Canada? Where do you guys buy those? I normally look at Safeway, Walmart, maybe I'm just missing them.
Thanks again for the replies :))
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:26 am

I go to Produce Junction. That may be a local chain around me but look for a market that sells fresh organic vegetables and fruits. Usually they have a much better selection than your typical supermarket.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:19 pm

We have a blue tongue skink diet chart right here, formulated especially for the omnivorous diet a BTS needs. Has ALL kinds of data and recommendations in it specifically aimed at BTS needs. PLEASE use it and not a chart formulated for herbivores, like bearded dragons.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:02 pm

I know this is a BTS forum but Bearded Dragons are definitely not herbivores. But thank you for providing the chart. Is very informative.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:08 pm

What are beardies considered?
Omnivores I guess, I just haven't seen one with anything on their plate but greens and bugs, but the bugs make them omnivores I guess...?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Beardies are also omnivores. As juveniles their staple diet should be dubia roaches and various worms. It's only as they reach adulthood that they should be offered more greens but they are voracious hunters and will eat whatever they can including mice and other lizards, including each other. Interestingly, they cannot be fed dog and cat food like our BTS. I'd assume bc they are much more effective hunters so require live prey and aren't as opportunistic as BTS.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Well, thank you for that, Mr mb606587! Good to know. :)
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:12 am

I still culture all my own insects from the days when I used to breed beardies. When it's baby time the skinks love them as well, but I find not as much when adults. The exceptions are a few of my Easterns, who are just pigs anyway and would eat anything constantly if you let them. Typical omnivore behavior for the babies though, requiring more protein as juveniles. My skinks like the pellets formulated for bearded dragons too. Mix them with some over ripe banana and they'll knock you over for it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”