Scared BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Scalemom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Scared BTS

Postby Scalemom » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:59 pm

My Blue tongue skink is so afraid of me! He got ill about 6 months ago and had to go to the vet several times , I also had to give him injections and dewormer and now he is petrified of me. He will jo longer let me hand feed him or even eat off tongs when I offer him a HORN WORM! I'm hoping someone may have some suggestions I'm broken hearted I love him so much and would hate for him to spend his whole life to afraid to come out of his enclosure!. Hes not even 2 yrs old yet!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Scared BTS

Postby splashy07 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:40 am

Unfortunately, they recall bad experiences and react to them. Many humans think reptiles do not think or have memory but my experience with them in the last 40+ years has proven otherwise. Just give it time, don't rush him. Keep offering favorite treats and spoil the heck out of him for a while. Something they cannot do is reason, he has no idea you were trying to help him and not torturing him. And for those who think snakes do not have a brain, my beautiful ultra caramel ball python came down with an RI last winter totally out of nowhere. He got so thin and I had to get the phlegm out of his mouth every day while restraining him. (He's quite large) He has fully recovered, but he absolutely hated being restrained and still flinches when I touch him now. He's very wary of me whereas he used to practically beg to come out. He has no idea I worked very hard to save his life. It was the dead of winter with daytime temps not exceeding 20 degrees so taking him to the vet was not an option. Getting more trusting with time, and will be much easier with a lizard! I was scared to death as I have not had a sick reptile since the 80s when everything was imported. Best of luck with yours!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”