Stuck Shed/ Kinky Tail??

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
bhenry132
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Stuck Shed/ Kinky Tail??

Postby bhenry132 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:34 pm

IMG_5587.jpg
Hello, I got my BTS (Taco) on Saturday 10/13, aka 3 days ago. He/she is a halmahera. I keep her terrarium at 60-70% humidity but am having trouble getting it above 90 degrees on the hot side. When I got Taco there was a kink in the end of her tail. She has just shed, and I am worried the previous kink was a stuck shed, possibly multiple layers, it is a very different color than the rest of her. I will attach photos, does she need to see a vet, will her tail fall off, or will it shed on its own. I am concerned about her but don't want to go to a vet if there is nothing they can do about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Stuck Shed/ Kinky Tail??

Postby splashy07 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:11 am

Try wrapping the area with warm damp toweling to soften it and get it off. There are also stuck shed scales on his head. A humid hide box will help. Try and get the temps higher on the hot side, in the very least 95. Humid cages can cause rapid infection so it is important to get that shed off, or circulation will cease to the end of the tail and it could become a host for pathogens. Head scales can be gently rubbed with a warm damp towel to get the shed off there.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Stuck Shed/ Kinky Tail??

Postby mb606587 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:23 pm

How is your skink doing? That first picture doesn't look good with that open wound and discoloration. Hopefully it has improved?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”