Page 1 of 1

Tiny bugs in water

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:00 am
by dberg
Hello -

I have a recent issue where I am seeing very tiny bugs floating in the water bowl every morning. I am worried that they may hurt the Skink. Is it possible these are mites or something from the chips? I am using a Cypress Mulch for the bedding. what is the best way to take care of this do i need to replace the entire bedding? The chips have been in the tank about 6 months and i scoop up the droppings daily but have not done a full chip replace in at least 6 months.

Picture attached, appreciate the help !

Adam

Re: Tiny bugs in water

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:34 pm
by splashy07
I've often found 'substrate bugs' that seem to materialize from cypress mulch, coco husk etc that are harmless to reptiles but can be a bit disconcerting. Those are not mites and won't bother your lizard. I often find them soon after changing out substrate and putting in new. Sometimes gnats also, which I capture for my baby mantises! (An actual useful annoyance!)

Re: Tiny bugs in water

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:35 pm
by dberg
Ok awesome thanks. So nothing to worry about , do I need to address the substrate bug problem in the mulch with new mulch or something ?

Re: Tiny bugs in water

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:37 am
by Belfast Bluey
They look like springtails which are a great clean up crew and tend to appear in humid conditions :-)

Re: Tiny bugs in water

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:49 am
by splashy07
I agree. they won't bother your pet, and they eat garbage!