Hello -
I have a recent issue where I am seeing very tiny bugs floating in the water bowl every morning. I am worried that they may hurt the Skink. Is it possible these are mites or something from the chips? I am using a Cypress Mulch for the bedding. what is the best way to take care of this do i need to replace the entire bedding? The chips have been in the tank about 6 months and i scoop up the droppings daily but have not done a full chip replace in at least 6 months.
Picture attached, appreciate the help !
Adam
Tiny bugs in water
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
dberg
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 2
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:07 am
- Country:
Tiny bugs in water
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- splashy07
- ADMIN

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY
Re: Tiny bugs in water
I've often found 'substrate bugs' that seem to materialize from cypress mulch, coco husk etc that are harmless to reptiles but can be a bit disconcerting. Those are not mites and won't bother your lizard. I often find them soon after changing out substrate and putting in new. Sometimes gnats also, which I capture for my baby mantises! (An actual useful annoyance!)
-
dberg
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 2
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:07 am
- Country:
Re: Tiny bugs in water
Ok awesome thanks. So nothing to worry about , do I need to address the substrate bug problem in the mulch with new mulch or something ?
-
Belfast Bluey
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:15 am
- Country: N.Ireland
- Location: Belfast
Re: Tiny bugs in water
They look like springtails which are a great clean up crew and tend to appear in humid conditions :-)
- splashy07
- ADMIN

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY
Re: Tiny bugs in water
I agree. they won't bother your pet, and they eat garbage!
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 229 guests
