Page 1 of 1

I really need help!!!

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:16 pm
by Pastel Lobster
Hello, I have an Irian Jaya blue tongue skink. she is a female and a baby and I've had her for a couple of weeks. I've never had a reptile before and I'm not very expirenced with them but I still think I've been caring for her right. I noticed that whenever I sprayed her cage and sprayed her she'd rub her face in the dirt and now she is squinting one of her eyes. Today I was going to put neosporin around her eye and try and clean it with a Q-tip. I put her on a table and was looking at my phone and when I looked at her again she had put her arms to her sides and flipped over onto her back. She stopped breathing and I think she was pretending to play dead. I got her to start breathing again but she was being very aggressive. In my panic I left her on a table for like 20 seconds and when I came back she had fallen off of it. The table is about 30 inches off the ground. After that she played dead again. She started moving again and this time I kept her in a little plastic box so she wouldn't walk off again. Every time I moved she would immediantly jump up and stick out her tongue as far as possible as a warning. Then she started trying to get out of the box and she was pushing her head into the box. I took her out and she started to pretend to be dead again and now I put her back in her cage because I thought she just shouldn't be around people right now. I'm really upset and panicked and would love for someone to try and help me. I wanted to bring her to a vet but we cant find any exotic reptile vets. I might have to wait a couple of days because I'm actually in the area where hurricane Florence is gonna hit. (great timing i know). Thank you so much if you try to help and I hope you have a great day.

Re: I really need help!!!

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:35 am
by lunarisx
Her enclosure? Does it lack substrate or hide? I wont let a baby out from their enclosure.


Or because the hurricane.

Re: I really need help!!!

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:38 am
by Pastel Lobster
She has substrate it was cypress mulch and eco earth mixed together. I thought I was supposed to take her out to get her used to me and I didn't know you shouldn't take babies out. Thank you so much for your help but I don't think she made it. My heart shattered in two when I found out this morning. I plan on burying her outside in a little patch of sunlight right by the river. Thank you so much for trying to help me and I hope you have a great day.


I feel like a failure and that I could have done more. I don't think I'm gonna get another blue tongue but not because I didn't like having her, but because I feel like I wouldn't be able to care for it properly. I'm sorry again if i wasted anyones time.