Page 1 of 1

Mouth Rot or Dirt?

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:55 pm
by ototoxin
Hi! I just noticed this morning that my northern has some dark specks on the sides of his mouth, and I’m not sure what it is. The inside of his mouth looks healthy, and he hasn’t bled or had any loss of appetite. I use 2 kinds of substrate: aspen shavings and fir bark (baked at 200° for 3 hours to kill any mites), so I’m thinking it might possibly be bits of the fir bark from burrowing in it.
He’s also about to shed, if that makes any difference
What do you think it is? Should I take him to my vet?

Re: Mouth Rot or Dirt?

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:43 am
by Herpin Man
Could be dirt, or minor scale abrasion.
Mouth rot is typically accompanied by swelling, and this doesn't appear to be mouth rot.

Re: Mouth Rot or Dirt?

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:58 am
by splashy07
Dirt, food stain, abrasion.