How to approach handling for the first time?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
hkre223
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:34 am
Country: America
Location: Kentucky

How to approach handling for the first time?

Postby hkre223 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:19 pm

Hello, everyone! :)

I am a new Blue Tongue Skink owner of a two month old Northern. I received my guy two weeks ago, & I absolutely adore him! He has been a pleasure to own so far, & seems to be warming up nicely. He went from not allowing me to be in the same room as him, to letting me sit down in front of his enclosure & talk to him. (He even meets me at the side of the glass!) I can put his food in for him & hold onto the dish, & he will come right up to it & eat. The only thing I've questioned, is when I open the lid up top, he starts breathing heavily & starts getting nervous. I know this is due to the fact that I am still considered a predator, & predators would pick them up from the top in the wild, but this leads me to my question:

Is there anything else I should do before beginning to handle him, such as light touches on the back, or will that worsen it? I am unsure of whether to just reach in confidently & pick him up, or continue to go slow with him & begin with soft touches.

Also, I have heard that pieces of your clothing inside of the enclosure can benefit them. Is that something that I should try before handling?

I do not want to go too fast, but I do not want to go too slow, because I would like to get him used to be while young so he can be a calmer adult that can explore outside of his tank frequently! I would like advice on finding that happy medium, please. Thank you for your help! :D
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: How to approach handling for the first time?

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:34 am

See my comments on taming / befriending skinks here
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31245
and
my general comments here
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31267


My current rescue (Fluffy the water skink) tamed up in under a week , but I was syringe feeding her and had been occasionally handfeeding her when I saw her in the garden before she was injured by someone with a whipper-snipper machine.
She was crawling onto my hand inside a month after I rescued her.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: How to approach handling for the first time?

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:42 am

hkre223 wrote:Hello, everyone! :)

I am a new Blue Tongue Skink owner of a two month old Northern. I received my guy two weeks ago, & I absolutely adore him! He has been a pleasure to own so far, & seems to be warming up nicely. He went from not allowing me to be in the same room as him, to letting me sit down in front of his enclosure & talk to him. (He even meets me at the side of the glass!) I can put his food in for him & hold onto the dish, & he will come right up to it & eat. The only thing I've questioned, is when I open the lid up top, he starts breathing heavily & starts getting nervous. I know this is due to the fact that I am still considered a predator, & predators would pick them up from the top in the wild, but this leads me to my question:

<<<< those top opening tanks are a bad idea, lizards instinctively fear anything that looms over them ….. better off with front opening tank , this allows you to open the tank let the skink choose to come to you , you are not forced to loom over it and pick it up from above , all the scared little skink sees is looming terrifying monster and then it sees even more terrifying 5 headed snake monsters (hands and arms) heading it's way ….

Is there anything else I should do before beginning to handle him, such as light touches on the back, or will that worsen it? I am unsure of whether to just reach in confidently & pick him up, or continue to go slow with him & begin with soft touches. <<<< pick times when he's relaxed and sleepy (ie late in the afternoon while he's basking or napping, never do anything suddenly and quietly …. talk calmly and quietly as you approach so he hears the tone of you voice and is warned of your approach).

Also, I have heard that pieces of your clothing inside of the enclosure can benefit them. Is that something that I should try before handling? <<< definitely worth giving little baby BTS > one of your unwashed t-shirts or a pair of unwashed socks so it gets familiar with your BO.


I do not want to go too fast, but I do not want to go too slow, because I would like to get him used to be while young so he can be a calmer adult that can explore outside of his tank frequently! I would like advice on finding that happy medium, please. Thank you for your help! :D
User avatar
hkre223
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:34 am
Country: America
Location: Kentucky

Re: How to approach handling for the first time?

Postby hkre223 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:29 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:
hkre223 wrote:Hello, everyone! :)

I am a new Blue Tongue Skink owner of a two month old Northern. I received my guy two weeks ago, & I absolutely adore him! He has been a pleasure to own so far, & seems to be warming up nicely. He went from not allowing me to be in the same room as him, to letting me sit down in front of his enclosure & talk to him. (He even meets me at the side of the glass!) I can put his food in for him & hold onto the dish, & he will come right up to it & eat. The only thing I've questioned, is when I open the lid up top, he starts breathing heavily & starts getting nervous. I know this is due to the fact that I am still considered a predator, & predators would pick them up from the top in the wild, but this leads me to my question:

<<<< those top opening tanks are a bad idea, lizards instinctively fear anything that looms over them ….. better off with front opening tank , this allows you to open the tank let the skink choose to come to you , you are not forced to loom over it and pick it up from above , all the scared little skink sees is looming terrifying monster and then it sees even more terrifying 5 headed snake monsters (hands and arms) heading it's way ….

Is there anything else I should do before beginning to handle him, such as light touches on the back, or will that worsen it? I am unsure of whether to just reach in confidently & pick him up, or continue to go slow with him & begin with soft touches. <<<< pick times when he's relaxed and sleepy (ie late in the afternoon while he's basking or napping, never do anything suddenly and quietly …. talk calmly and quietly as you approach so he hears the tone of you voice and is warned of your approach).

Also, I have heard that pieces of your clothing inside of the enclosure can benefit them. Is that something that I should try before handling? <<< definitely worth giving little baby BTS > one of your unwashed t-shirts or a pair of unwashed socks so it gets familiar with your BO.


I do not want to go too fast, but I do not want to go too slow, because I would like to get him used to be while young so he can be a calmer adult that can explore outside of his tank frequently! I would like advice on finding that happy medium, please. Thank you for your help! :D


Hi! Thank you for your response! :)

The top opening tank (40 gallon breeder) is what I have right now, so when I upgrade to a 75 gallon in the future, I will get the front opening tank for sure! For now, I will try to find ways to make the top opening tank work better. Perhaps go in from the side so he sees my hand?

I do that sometimes, & he will come to the side of the tank & lean against it & fall back asleep! It's the sweetest thing. I know it's not the case, but I like to tell myself that he wants to cuddle with me to make myself feel good, hah! He does good with me coming near him, even when he's eating. He will follow me in his tank when I'm cleaning my room. He seems like a social little guy! Should I try to begin handling him when he's wide awake? I know with my crestie, I catch him a little on the drowsy side, but that's because he likes to play hide & seek in tight places & I don't. :lol:

I will definitely put the shirt in there then! Is it safe to just leave the piece of clothing or should I be supervising while it's in there?

Again, thank you for all your help! :)
User avatar
hkre223
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:34 am
Country: America
Location: Kentucky

Re: How to approach handling for the first time?

Postby hkre223 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:33 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:See my comments on taming / befriending skinks here
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31245
and
my general comments here
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31267


My current rescue (Fluffy the water skink) tamed up in under a week , but I was syringe feeding her and had been occasionally handfeeding her when I saw her in the garden before she was injured by someone with a whipper-snipper machine.
She was crawling onto my hand inside a month after I rescued her.


I will definitely check those out! Thank you!

That's such a sweet rescue. So happy that she found you, & I hope she is doing well! :)
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: How to approach handling for the first time?

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:17 pm

hkre223 wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:
hkre223 wrote:Hello, everyone! :)

I am a new Blue Tongue Skink owner of a two month old Northern. I received my guy two weeks ago, & I absolutely adore him! He has been a pleasure to own so far, & seems to be warming up nicely. He went from not allowing me to be in the same room as him, to letting me sit down in front of his enclosure & talk to him. (He even meets me at the side of the glass!) I can put his food in for him & hold onto the dish, & he will come right up to it & eat. The only thing I've questioned, is when I open the lid up top, he starts breathing heavily & starts getting nervous. I know this is due to the fact that I am still considered a predator, & predators would pick them up from the top in the wild, but this leads me to my question:

<<<< those top opening tanks are a bad idea, lizards instinctively fear anything that looms over them ….. better off with front opening tank , this allows you to open the tank let the skink choose to come to you , you are not forced to loom over it and pick it up from above , all the scared little skink sees is looming terrifying monster and then it sees even more terrifying 5 headed snake monsters (hands and arms) heading it's way ….

Is there anything else I should do before beginning to handle him, such as light touches on the back, or will that worsen it? I am unsure of whether to just reach in confidently & pick him up, or continue to go slow with him & begin with soft touches. <<<< pick times when he's relaxed and sleepy (ie late in the afternoon while he's basking or napping, never do anything suddenly and quietly …. talk calmly and quietly as you approach so he hears the tone of you voice and is warned of your approach).

Also, I have heard that pieces of your clothing inside of the enclosure can benefit them. Is that something that I should try before handling? <<< definitely worth giving little baby BTS > one of your unwashed t-shirts or a pair of unwashed socks so it gets familiar with your BO.


I do not want to go too fast, but I do not want to go too slow, because I would like to get him used to be while young so he can be a calmer adult that can explore outside of his tank frequently! I would like advice on finding that happy medium, please. Thank you for your help! :D


Hi! Thank you for your response! :)

The top opening tank (40 gallon breeder) is what I have right now, so when I upgrade to a 75 gallon in the future, I will get the front opening tank for sure! For now, I will try to find ways to make the top opening tank work better. Perhaps go in from the side so he sees my hand?

I do that sometimes, & he will come to the side of the tank & lean against it & fall back asleep! It's the sweetest thing. I know it's not the case, but I like to tell myself that he wants to cuddle with me to make myself feel good, hah! He does good with me coming near him, even when he's eating. He will follow me in his tank when I'm cleaning my room. He seems like a social little guy! Should I try to begin handling him when he's wide awake? I know with my crestie, I catch him a little on the drowsy side, but that's because he likes to play hide & seek in tight places & I don't. :lol:

I will definitely put the shirt in there then! Is it safe to just leave the piece of clothing or should I be supervising while it's in there?

Again, thank you for all your help! :)


One option is to make up a timber sliding door frame (for sliding glass or Perspex doors) , turn the tank on it's side (top becomes the front) ,
remove the mesh lid (bin it) ,
fit the light fittings to the PLYWOOD false ceiling (top under glass ceiling)

ie see this generalized layout : Image

materials :
* sheet of 3/4" marine plywood offcut , precut by the trade desk at your local hardware shop (for front and new tank CEILING (under glass ceiling)
* soda glass 6.5mm thick cut to size and smoothed on the edges , holes predrilled for finger holes / lock
OR
Perspex 6.5mm thick or acrylic 6.5mm sheet clear (UV STABILISED) with smoothed edges and predrilled holes
* plastic tracks ie https://www.cowdroy.com.au/product/p026 ... -track-set
* mesh for the warm air (top) vents
* cupboard vents like these https://www.ebay.com.au/p/2-Pack-Cupboa ... 725&chn=ps for the lower cool zone air vents.
* some 66 x 42mm x 2.4m F7 FJ H3 LOSP Pine Primed to make bottom slip in lip
* some silastic to glue the frame in place so it doesn't fall off.
User avatar
hkre223
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:34 am
Country: America
Location: Kentucky

Re: How to approach handling for the first time?

Postby hkre223 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 am

kingofnobbys wrote:
hkre223 wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:


Hi! Thank you for your response! :)

The top opening tank (40 gallon breeder) is what I have right now, so when I upgrade to a 75 gallon in the future, I will get the front opening tank for sure! For now, I will try to find ways to make the top opening tank work better. Perhaps go in from the side so he sees my hand?

I do that sometimes, & he will come to the side of the tank & lean against it & fall back asleep! It's the sweetest thing. I know it's not the case, but I like to tell myself that he wants to cuddle with me to make myself feel good, hah! He does good with me coming near him, even when he's eating. He will follow me in his tank when I'm cleaning my room. He seems like a social little guy! Should I try to begin handling him when he's wide awake? I know with my crestie, I catch him a little on the drowsy side, but that's because he likes to play hide & seek in tight places & I don't. :lol:

I will definitely put the shirt in there then! Is it safe to just leave the piece of clothing or should I be supervising while it's in there?

Again, thank you for all your help! :)


One option is to make up a timber sliding door frame (for sliding glass or Perspex doors) , turn the tank on it's side (top becomes the front) ,
remove the mesh lid (bin it) ,
fit the light fittings to the PLYWOOD false ceiling (top under glass ceiling)

ie see this generalized layout : Image

materials :
* sheet of 3/4" marine plywood offcut , precut by the trade desk at your local hardware shop (for front and new tank CEILING (under glass ceiling)
* soda glass 6.5mm thick cut to size and smoothed on the edges , holes predrilled for finger holes / lock
OR
Perspex 6.5mm thick or acrylic 6.5mm sheet clear (UV STABILISED) with smoothed edges and predrilled holes
* plastic tracks ie https://www.cowdroy.com.au/product/p026 ... -track-set
* mesh for the warm air (top) vents
* cupboard vents like these https://www.ebay.com.au/p/2-Pack-Cupboa ... 725&chn=ps for the lower cool zone air vents.
* some 66 x 42mm x 2.4m F7 FJ H3 LOSP Pine Primed to make bottom slip in lip
* some silastic to glue the frame in place so it doesn't fall off.


You know, I thought about doing that! It would make everything a LOT easier. Hmmm, I will definitely look into this more. :) Thank you again!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 162 guests