Right eye looks normal, left is always squinting?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ncbiggins
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Right eye looks normal, left is always squinting?

Postby ncbiggins » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:13 pm

My blue tounge is just over a month old, I got him/her three days ago and noticed that the left eye was constantly squinting, the skink also seems bothered by at as he/she rubs it every once and a while. The one hat is open is the right and the squinted is the left. Thought it could be residual shed so I might try gentle brushing the area with a warm wash cloth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Right eye looks normal, left is always squinting?

Postby kayla990 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:06 am

Looks like there are stuck shed scales on their head (which is likely why you will have seen the head rubbing). I don't have experience with Northerns, but inital thoughts are to provide a luke warm soak to try loosen up the scales. Do they have a place to bathe themselves for future sheds? I'd say if you do use the warm wash cloth, just to be careful and allow time for the water to 'soak in' before it's expected for the scales to loosen.

With the eye squinting, it may also be from them closing an eye from a bright light - or can be a behavioural reaction (i.e. if they aren't wanting to make eye contact!). Hopefully you'll get a more informed answer soon :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
kingofnobbys
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:37 am

I can't see any evidence of any left over residual shed on his eyelids. Or any evidence of any like pus or a dry crust. I think he's just got an itchy or sore irritated eye.

What are you using as a UV source ?
brand ?
type (compact , t8 , t5ho, mvb ) ?
uvb rating ?
wattage ?
distance from basking spot ?

Asking because many pet shop lizard tank kits come with very dodgey cheap Chinese UVB globe and tube clones and these have very poor quality quartz in the globe/tube (which tends to leak harmful bands of UVB and UVC) and very poor quality phospores which also do not emit nice reptile safe UV spectra) and this is a known cause of photoconjunctivitis.
Try turning off the UV source for a few days and see if the squinting stops.

Another none infection source is dust irritating an eye , or maybe a filament of the mulch type material I can see in your photo has found it's way between the eyeball and lid or eyesocket and this is very unconfortable for him - this will need a vet with jeweler's loop to check and maybe then it can washed away by the vet irrigating the sore eye with a saline eye wash.
BTs love to tunnel through their substrate and fossick for insects in it , so are prone to getting stuff from the substrate in the eyes....dust and flecks and filaments in particular.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:06 am

He definitely has leftover un-shed scales on his head, you could try the warm cloth thing and give him a 'humid hide' for when shedding is imminent. I know a lot of you use aspen for Northerns but I found it too dry and irritating, causing them to sneeze a lot and shed improperly. When I switched over to repti-bark and similar type substrates all the eye issues, sneezing, and shedding problems disappeared. Just something to consider.
Janella
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:30 am

I couldn't agree more with Splashy. Definitely stuck she'd on the head. Highly recommend if you is Aspen to switch substrates.
ncbiggins
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby ncbiggins » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:26 pm

Totally forgot my password but turns out she had some stuck shed, warm washcloth did it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”