PVC Cage Build Question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ayimera
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

PVC Cage Build Question

Postby ayimera » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:23 pm

I'm having a custom cage built and I have a question about heat/basking light. Because I am having the cage built to fit on a wire rack, I will need to have a heat light place internally. I was originally planning for 15" high, but will that be a safe distance if you allow for 4" of substrate? (I was considering maybe using one of those nano halogen bulbs (https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-nano-halogen-heat-lamp.html) since they have a low profile.) Bumping it to 18" will be an extra $100 (Animal Plastics). Ali also mentioned purchasing a radiant heat panel and having them install it for me, which would be an extra $63. I have no experience with these though. The cage will also be set up with a UVB tube.

What route should I take in heating the cage? Thanks!
vana
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: PVC Cage Build Question

Postby vana » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:35 am

I got a skink cage from animal plastics. I highly recommend the radiant heat panel (I use proheat). I had them ship to AP to install. I use a ranco thermostat. It keeps the cage toasty warm in the winter, and the thermostat means it regulates the temp a lot better than a light. Keeps the cage warm at night with no light also. Very slim, no giant bulbs hanging down.
CarlyM
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby CarlyM » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:39 pm

Can I ask how you get a basking spot with a tho. I have a AP cages and RHP and I can’t get the right basking temp without heating up the whole cage?
0.0.1 Northern- Scruffy
1.0.0 Indonesian- Bender
0.0.1 Irian Jaya x Northern- Dil
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:00 am

I have API cages in three different heights, 12", 16" and 18". I have internal mounted ceramic fixtures on one side. (Most of which I installed myself). These cages hold heat so well that a 25w flood lamp by Satco (purchased from 1000 Bulbs online) heats the cage in the basking area just fine.
In summer (I do not use AC) they're replaced with 7w LEDs. All my skinks are happy, eating, breeding, etc. so I'm sure this setup is perfectly adequate. If I remember I'll post some pics when I get home.
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:57 pm

A few examples of mine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CarlyM
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby CarlyM » Sun May 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Thank you so much! Like this one? We had a really hard time finding lower watt bulbs at the hardware store, and this one is smaller so it won’t be as close. I think It will be great. What is the foil you have around the bulb? Also this might be a dumb question but can you still mist the cage if a bulb is mounted on the inside?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0.0.1 Northern- Scruffy
1.0.0 Indonesian- Bender
0.0.1 Irian Jaya x Northern- Dil
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:54 am

That's the one. I could not find in the local hardware stores either, so I headed to the internet where I do most of my shopping anyway. The little foil thing I call my 'white trash lampshade' made from a pot pie foil you can get in the supermarket. I cut a hole in the middle of it for the lamp. I don't like bright lights blaring in my eyes and this cures the issue when I am observing my reptiles!
splashy07

Postby splashy07 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:56 am

Oh, and yes. I still mist the cage. I simply spray the bottom and sides, not near the lamp. Being I keep only Australian species I don't mist every day, but when a shed cycle is iminent.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”