Worrisome signs in a young blue tongue

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Slapshot
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Worrisome signs in a young blue tongue

Postby Slapshot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:50 pm

My Indonesian blue tongue skink, about about 2 months and a half old, is showing worrisome signs. At first I noticed that he started making these weird noises and he sneezed a lot, but I read online that it was normal, especially if they like to bury. Then, he stopped eating and hasn't touched his food for the last four days ago, which was weird since he ate every day and he's looking very skinny. Then, I noticed he's bubbling at the mouth and eyes but when I looked online people said it was "normal". I also only see him on the cool side- never the hot, although that might be because I'm gone for most of the noon and afternoon when I first switch on the light. His temperature gradient is 90-100F on the hot side and about 70-80F on the cool. It dips down by about ten degrees at night. I keep his humidity from 40% to 60%, although it mostly stays at 40%-50%. I change his water every day, spot clean every day, mist as often as I can, give him a varied diet with calcium supplement and clean out his cage entirely once a month. He has both a basking and UV lamp and I'm wondering if the combination means its too hot for him.

I'm really worried so any advice would be appreciated!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Worrisome signs in a young blue tongue

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Take him to a reptile vet , he has a respiratory infection and needs meds, wont cost much to have his chest checked and general wellness examination - better off catching reptile health issues early before they become major (expensive to treat) health issues .

Suggest investment in a nebulizer and a small bottle or F10sc . Nebulising with F10 might be all you need to do to get on top of this.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:10 am

What substrate are you using?
Slapshot
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Slapshot » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:01 am

splashy07 wrote:What substrate are you using?

I use a combination of cypress mulch and sphagnum moss, mostly to help with humidity.
Slapshot
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Slapshot » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:43 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Take him to a reptile vet , he has a respiratory infection and needs meds, wont cost much to have his chest checked and general wellness examination - better off catching reptile health issues early before they become major (expensive to treat) health issues .

Suggest investment in a nebulizer and a small bottle or F10sc . Nebulising with F10 might be all you need to do to get on top of this.

I feared it was a respiratory infection. I'll probably take him to a vet if the symptoms persist after his shed (I woke up and he seems fine, not making any noise or bubbles, but he just started a shed which might also be why he's not eaten for a bit).
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:31 am

I also would highly recommend a vet check. It does sound like an RI. It is better to be on top of this sooner than later before it develops into pneumonia. Keep us posted on how things are going.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:02 am

Ditto Janella. RIs are nothing to leave to chance. If there's ever a need for an immediate vet visit a suspected RI is it. No home remedies here.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”