Eating sphagnum moss and a pooping question
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:55 am
As Norbert looks like he’ll be shedding soon, he’s getting dull colour wise and he has that look of a second layer of scales slightly off the colourful ones (if that makes sense). I thought I’d try him with some sphagnum moss and give him a bit of a humid hide, just as an option to help if he needed it.
Anyway, I bought a bag of ‘live sphagnum moss’ and I guess I have two questions. The first is, should it smell? The one I have smells quite strong when I opened it and wanted to check that’s ok. It says wash it thoroughly and when I did it’s pretty scentless so I guess it’s the moisture inside the bag in the store that does it. The second question is; do your BTS eat the moss? I put some in with Norbert and the first thing he did was pull some off and eat it, just a couple of strands so I’m not really worried but I’m not sure about leaving it in with him if he’s going to munch on the lot! After I removed the clump of moss he spent five minutes digging round for the tiny strands I missed so I’ve had to dig with him and grab them before they disappear inside him too! I guess he does seem to be a fan of greens but I didn’t expect him to eat the moss as well
Should I be leaving it in anyway and hope he doesn’t eat more and it was just a taste test with the first bit or just let him have it under supervision?
Anyway, I bought a bag of ‘live sphagnum moss’ and I guess I have two questions. The first is, should it smell? The one I have smells quite strong when I opened it and wanted to check that’s ok. It says wash it thoroughly and when I did it’s pretty scentless so I guess it’s the moisture inside the bag in the store that does it. The second question is; do your BTS eat the moss? I put some in with Norbert and the first thing he did was pull some off and eat it, just a couple of strands so I’m not really worried but I’m not sure about leaving it in with him if he’s going to munch on the lot! After I removed the clump of moss he spent five minutes digging round for the tiny strands I missed so I’ve had to dig with him and grab them before they disappear inside him too! I guess he does seem to be a fan of greens but I didn’t expect him to eat the moss as well