Page 1 of 1

Aspen bedding or newspaper?

Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:51 pm
by Angel_BTS
Hi!
So after last weeks scare of finding out the one of my BTS's, Beau, has mites (from the reptile store I purchased him from) I am on the hunt for the best substate. Right now both my Blueys are on a newspaper substrate - to help keep their enclosures clean (I have given Beau his first mite treatment yesterday) and to also make sure my other Bluey is in good health. Should I stick with newspaper long term, or would it be better to use Aspen bedding?
I used to use Kritters Crumble, but my skinks were really sneezy from the dust it created.
Any input would be appreciated - thanks!

Re: Aspen bedding or newspaper?

Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:26 am
by Angel_BTS
EDIT: I decided to use cypress mulch instead - both the Blueys love it

Re: Aspen bedding or newspaper?

Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:56 am
by kingofnobbys
i use KRITTERS CRUMBLE , but only the course grade as fine and medium are really dusty. I mix natural gum tree leaf litter with it , my skinks love the mix .

Re: Aspen bedding or newspaper?

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:30 am
by Angel_BTS
kingofnobbys wrote:i use KRITTERS CRUMBLE , but only the course grade as fine and medium are really dusty. I mix natural gum tree leaf litter with it , my skinks love the mix .


Sounds great! There is also leaf litter mixed in with the cypress mulch - Beau and Bindi have been digging and burying under their substrate all day!
Also, I have 4 ceramic heating globes on their way this week! Took a while for me to find the right heat lamps for the skinks, but I finally have - no more infrared lamps yay!