Page 1 of 1

Sudden unexplained death

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:48 am
by splashy07
Well. it's Friday the 13th and did not expect the day to pass without at least one incident of bad news. A friend just called me hysterical that her three year old Northern died suddenly. No previous health issues. Was breeding with one of my males about a month ago, and absolutely no violence. (The entire event supervised) Absolutely no indication of anything wrong whatsoever, and my friend is an experienced reptile keeper like myself. She just went to check on her and she was gone. Similar issue anyone? I have read of this happening, but not recently. Her cousin is a vet and she is currently inquiring about a necropsy.

Re: Sudden unexplained death

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:15 pm
by Suzle87
That’s awful, so so sorry to hear.
I hope you and your friend are okay, please let us know when you find out why this happened.
Really worrying to hear things like this. :(

Re: Sudden unexplained death

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 pm
by Janella
I am very sorry for your friends Northern. Never easy losing one. Let us know what the vet says.

Re: Sudden unexplained death

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:54 am
by kayla990
Awww that's so sad to hear about your friends Northern.. I had heard of sudden deaths of a similar kind - no prior health issues or behaviour changes other than slight bloating - to then pass away the following day. One particular case stands in mind of a monitor lizard called Pazuzu (from online posts/youtube) whose sudden death was caused from ovarian tissue/reproductive failure. I wonder what the vets will find in this case :/

Re: Sudden unexplained death

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am
by splashy07
Hearing so much bad news with friends and pets lately it's making me afraid to look in my own cages. The poor girl would have been four this year, and unfortunately my friends cousin said he was unable to do the necropsy (personally I think he just didn't want to, he's a dog and cat guy and doesn't have much to say about reptiles that is worth anything). He also blew her off when she was having issues with her bearded dragon. So we will never know, this one was purchased at an expo as a juvenile in 2014, so there's no breeder to contact. I'm still in shock here, and my friend is an absolute mess. Here is Sara one week ago. May she rest in peace.

Re: Sudden unexplained death

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:58 pm
by Janella
This is so sad. Hate not knowing what happened. Sending hugs

Re: Sudden unexplained death

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:41 pm
by splashy07
Thanks, Janella. I'll send my friend your regards. I still can't comprehend this. My friend (her name is Estrellita) talked me into buying this one at a local reptile expo. I kept her for two years until Estrellita succeeded in talking me out of her, so I gave Sara to her. She already had another female (one produced by me) and we were looking for a male for her. We bred my male to Sara, (but not the other female as she was his brother) and all was looking good. I then sold my male to look for one unrelated to both for next year. She was so excited becoming a breeder and now I feel like crap for giving Sara to her in the first place. I feel like I caused my best friend this heartache. Especially with assurances that these things will outlive us! Well, we live and learn, don't we? Never again will I purchase anything without lineage, regardless of price. I'm going to do my best to make up for this, but the healing must begin first. Hopefully I'll have a successful season and I'll send her home with pick of the litter. Babies have a way of making you smile regardless of what you are feeling.

Re: Sudden unexplained death

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:46 pm
by Janella
You know you can't blame yourself. The whole thing is just bizarre and unfortunately we will never know what happened. I am sure she will appreciate a new baby. They do have ways of melting your heart. I am send my condolences and hugs

Re: Sudden unexplained death

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:40 am
by Angel_BTS
Please tell your friend that I am thinking of her during this tough time. Losing a pet is never easy, especially when it is an unexplained death.
I hope that both you and your friend are ok.

Re: Sudden unexplained death

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:12 am
by splashy07
Thank you all for your condolences. I will pass them on.