Hi guys,
My blue tongue is three months old. He had mites about a month ago which I managed to eradicate. He was doing fine for a while but I have just noticed, you guessed it- miles. The first time I thought that they came from where I got him but this Time I don’t know because o thought I got rid of that wave completely. I’ve seen in places that improper husbandry can cause mites, is this true? If so, I am going to put my husbandry below, if you see something I am doing wrong pleases inform me kindly:
He is an eastern blue tongue.
He is in a 3ft tank
He has a cypress mulch bedding
He is fed every second day
He has fresh water at all times
He has a basking spot at 30 degrees Celsius
He has a cool end in the low 20s
His food is supplemented with a calcium supplement 2 out of 3 times that I feed him.
Please help. If there is anything you would like to know please ask me.
Thankyou,
Hamish
Am I doing something wrong?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Hamish
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 am
- Country: Australia
- Location: Sydney
-
kingofnobbys
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
- Country: australia
- Location: NSW
-
Herpin Man
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 40
- Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:47 am
- Country: US
- Location: Minnesota
Re: Am I doing something wrong?
Improper husbandry does not cause mites. Mites cause mites.
Either you did not eradicate them the first time around, or more came in. It is very common for people to buy bedding and other supplies at pet stores that is infested with mites, and bring them into their own collection, sometimes repeatedly.
Either you did not eradicate them the first time around, or more came in. It is very common for people to buy bedding and other supplies at pet stores that is infested with mites, and bring them into their own collection, sometimes repeatedly.
- splashy07
- ADMIN

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY
Re: Am I doing something wrong?
Exactly. Female mites often travel to lay their eggs, and down the road here come the mites again. It is imperative to thoroughly disinfect absolutely everything in and around your skink's enclosure. If you keep other reptiles check them also. The amount of travelling these little things can do to find a suitable egg-laying place is astounding.
-
Hamish
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 am
- Country: Australia
- Location: Sydney
Re: Am I doing something wrong?
Ok thankyou for your replies everyone
-
Montanna
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 1
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:47 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Ohio
Re: Am I doing something wrong?
I don’t see anything you are doing wrong however if the mites suddenly reappeared I can only think that they weren’t completely gone the first round or that they had somehow came in the substrate. It is not uncommon for different substrates to carry mites already but is still a possibility. Sorry I couldn’t be more help 
-
Hamish
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 am
- Country: Australia
- Location: Sydney
Re: Am I doing something wrong?
Hi Montana,
I baked the substrate before I put it in. Does this rule out the possibility of the mites coming in the substrate?
I baked the substrate before I put it in. Does this rule out the possibility of the mites coming in the substrate?
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 169 guests
