Page 1 of 1

Scales

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:25 pm
by BlueTongueBoris
I recently noticed when I go to pick up my skink I could feel his belly scales easily come up, like it feels like if they are peeling but he's not in shed. It used to be smooth and sturdy and now it's a bit strange. It also happens when I touch him on the ground not when picking him up. Another problem I've probably discussed is when he finishes his daily exercise I would put him into his enclosure he would go to the glass and start aggressively rub his nose, he's got a little scar. I've told my reptile vet and she says to keep kicking him up everyday. I've been doing this for about a month now and it's the same all the time.

Re: Scales

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:41 pm
by Y33T
your substrate could be too dry. Mine had that same problem. All you have to do is spray the substrate, mix it and done. Do it daily until his belly feels silky smooth.

Re: Scales

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:58 am
by splashy07
Agree with above post. When I began keeping Northerns I was told I could use aspen. I'm allergic to it but tried anyway, and it proved to be too dry for them. I've since changed substrate and no more dry scales or shedding problems. When I tried to dampen it, I got mold. Save the aspen for rodents. Repti-bark, cypress mulch, coco husk or combination thereof is what I have been using for Northerns/Easterns with no issues whatsoever.

Re: Scales

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:29 am
by Whnthsungoesdwn
Basically same info as above but TC Houston/reptile mountain posted a video about this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLt9eU ... k_ImBu59nE

Re: Scales

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:43 am
by BeckyRRR
Aspen seems to sap the moisture out of everything it comes in contact with. If your skink is lying on it it'll cause problems on the belly. Give your skink a moist hide if it doesn't have one already, and try misting the aspen + enclosure. You could also switch off aspen to a more moisture-retaining substrate.

Re: Scales

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:24 pm
by splashy07
Aspen is terrible. I tried misting it and got mold. Heat lamps and aspen just make a dust bowl. My guys hardly even 'sneeze' anymore since I switched, except when they go head first into their food!