Page 1 of 1

I Need Enclosure Help

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:50 pm
by Mathilda26
I've wanted a BT for years now, but I've been putting it off due to a particular issue of mine. I have a bad back and I cannot lift the typical exo terra and similar brands of glass vivariums in the size an adult BT would need. I currently have a crestie and leopard gecko with smaller, more manageable glass enclosures and tubs, and I know the size a BT would need is just not possible after a botched attempt at bringing a friend's bearded dragon to my house for me to watch while they vacationed.

I know some people keep their BT in a tub, and I may end up modifying one to acomodate lighting, but I was hoping some of you here might know of some light weight housing options I could use that are a little more pleasing to the eye. I'm only familiar with glass enclosures and tubs, but I know there are many custom companies out there that I'm not familiar with. I've looked at a few, and while they say light weight, the weight is never listed :(

Or, maybe I should just accept I won't be able to have a BT and look into other similar options. I'm open to those as well if anyone has any. Similar heating and UV needs, personality, and size. Help? :noknow:

Re: I Need Enclosure Help

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:48 pm
by Leigti
Animal plastics makes lighter weight cages. In fact I ordered one and it should be getting here next week. I’ll post pictures when it gets here. Usually the PVC cages are expensive but they are definitely a lot lighter than anything else out there.

Re: I Need Enclosure Help

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:27 pm
by Mathilda26
That would be great, thank you!

I'd definitly be willing to pay more for something that will be best for the skink and my back. :thumbs:

Re: I Need Enclosure Help

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:51 pm
by Leigti
I just got it today. Hope to get it put together this weekend.

Re: I Need Enclosure Help

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:26 pm
by Leigti
Well, I started putting it together last week, had to wait a week for the sealant to dry. But I thought I would shoot you a quick pic as to the progress I’ve made so far. Plan to have him in it by the end of the weekend. Some people don’t like Aspen but my skink seems to like it better than anything else I have tried. He will have a warm humid hide the box at all times. As soon as they get here in the mail that is :-) I will Jerry rig something until then. I hope this gives you some ideas. There are very creative people here that make excellent looking enclosures. I don’t know how heavy this is but two people can easily carry it. And I was able to carry the pieces in by myself to assemble.

Re: I Need Enclosure Help

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:14 pm
by kingofnobbys
Build it from plywood with front sliding glass doors and about 4ft L x 2ft W x 1.5ft T .

If you look on Ebay you can find timber reptile tanks that are sold as flat packs and you simply assemble and fit the UVB tube and reflector hood and e27 ceramic light fitting and a domestic indoor/outdoor par38 or equiv colorless incandescent or halogen spot globe for the basking globe/ daytime heat source.

A 100L to 150L tote can easily be converted to a temporary reptile tank in a hour or so , all you need are a drill driver, some self tapping screws , an electric soldering iron and some off cuts of mdf or plywood to mount the spot globe , or if you choose to leave the lid off , a ceramic clamp lamp with reflector dome or a Komodo lampstand + a ceramic lamp fitting with a reflector dome and you are in action.
This is how I set up my rearing tubs for skinks (started off my two big eastern bluetongues in these as babies / juveniles) , then my beardies as hatchlings and juveniles used them. See linky : https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 4&t=233480
I'm still using them (but for storage only now.

I now house my adult water skink in a 120L ALL SET converted (to rearing) tub , rigged up two new 120L tubs to replace the two 100L tubs as I was planning on buying a pair of new shingleback skinks or rankins or netted dragons soon as babies to rear.

This is the size of two new tubs I bought recently : https://www.bunnings.com.au/all-set-149 ... d_p2583377
W:575mm H:480mm L:790mm , for a 149L ALL SET brand tub.

My old rearing tubs are Home GAllery 100L Tuff Tubs and were in service for 7 years before the UV exposure finally made the sides brittle. I replaced these with https://www.bunnings.com.au/all-set-120 ... r_p2583852. Which gave a wider tub by about 4 inches which my skink appreciates.
These are very good as they hold the heat in nicely , are tough and durable and see through and stackable if you are cleavour in how you mount the UV and basking lights.

Re: I Need Enclosure Help

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:28 pm
by splashy07
Love AP, I'm the proud owner of eight of them. Sorry crappy pics, a lot of glare this time of day.

Re: I Need Enclosure Help

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:36 pm
by kingofnobbys
splashy07 wrote:Love AP, I'm the proud owner of eight of them. Sorry crappy pics, a lot of glare this time of day.




my .... you have it BAD .... and i thought i was overwhelmed by stacked tanks and tubs ....