Page 1 of 1

Is my skink too fat?

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:26 pm
by Leigti
I have seven month old northern blue tongue skink. He seems to be gaining a lot of weight lately. I’m wondering if he is too fat. What do you think? I have been feeding him high-quality canned cat food almost exclusively. Every once in a while a little bluey buffet. I was feeding every other day but have started to go into twice a week.
9C1A450A-DD17-4A82-82FB-0A20A01F4913.jpeg
D9895C6C-9F77-4297-ADF6-E7C36A11B2C1.jpeg
DEA7C1EA-DFF8-4A17-A839-BE1F9A63D15B.jpeg

Re: Is my skink too fat?

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:43 pm
by Janella
He does look over weight to me. I would switch to a high quality dog food, veggies, and occasionally fruit all blended together. You can switch up the protein source. I follow this forums diet chart. Also definitely keep feeding the twice a week or even just once. Hopefully he will even out by not eating so much.

Re: Is my skink too fat?

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:23 pm
by Leigti
OK thanks. He will soon have a much bigger enclosure, 6 x 2 so I’m hoping that will let him walk around more. I’m always changing the protein sources and the brands of cat food so now I guess I will just start doing that with dog food. Do you find that if you mix up things in the dog food like greens and veggies and some fruit that they readily eat it? Or should I put that stuff separate? I have also thought about getting some of those canned grasshoppers and snails and crickets etc. but haven’t done it yet.
Is there information somewhere on a northern blue is average weight based on length?

Re: Is my skink too fat?

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:10 am
by kayla990
Pretty skink! Agree with Janella :D

I'd presume that since you've swapped to feeding on alternative days that should help already. Based on the chart and age, you can do 1-2 tablespoons of food per feeding, which you can keep on the lower side for now. We also mix and cut/grate the food into small pieces, so they can't be picky with the leafy greens etc.

The only downside is that if there is a new piece of food they don't like, then they may ignore it all :wink: (happened recently when trying a little bit of passionfruit! but also shows they aren't *that* hungry either, so not a problem)

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a weight/length chart for Blueys. Presumably as growth will change a lot from their environment & diet, along with varied length from the different subspecies.

Re: Is my skink too fat?

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:08 am
by Janella
I couldn't agree more with Kayla. I personally do blend up all my skinks food so that way they can't pick out the things they don't want. I use the freezer method, where I prepare it all a head of time and then freeze in ice cube trays. Then I take out one cube per skink and thaw and feed. Makes things so much easier. I also feed my skinks canned snails. They can't get enough of them. My guys also love Reptilinks as well. I hope this all helps. The bigger enclosure will help also and if you let them outside of their enclosure that helps too. Good luck

Re: Is my skink too fat?

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:41 pm
by Leigti
Thanks for all the information. I have thought about doing the ice cube food preparation method. I only have one skink so it’s hard to prepare a bunch of food when they’re only eating a couple times a week.

Re: Is my skink too fat?

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:17 pm
by splashy07
If your skink is only seven months he/she is still growing. I wouldn't worry too much about weight at this stage. Some of that weight will transform into length. What I have seen with my females is that those who do not brumate the first year continue to eat although do slow a bit in winter. (I live in the northeast). I have an eight month old about the same size as yours. She went into brumation in November and just recently came out, and that's a long time without eating. I was very glad she was a bit heavy. To be honest, I feed my skinks all they want the first year, offering every day (depending on their growth rate) up till six months and every other day thereafter. Then I have no worries if they choose to brumate. My males have mostly all brumated their first year. I do not change anything if they are under a year, some just do it on their own. You might want to look at lower calorie options, such as a good quality dog food, some have vegetables already mixed in, or you could add your own. If your skink was two years old, I'd say yes, she's fat. (I'm only guessing 'she')

Re: Is my skink too fat?

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:02 pm
by Leigti
splashy07 wrote:If your skink is only seven months he/she is still growing. I wouldn't worry too much about weight at this stage. Some of that weight will transform into length. What I have seen with my females is that those who do not brumate the first year continue to eat although do slow a bit in winter. (I live in the northeast). I have an eight month old about the same size as yours. She went into brumation in November and just recently came out, and that's a long time without eating. I was very glad she was a bit heavy. To be honest, I feed my skinks all they want the first year, offering every day (depending on their growth rate) up till six months and every other day thereafter. Then I have no worries if they choose to brumate. My males have mostly all brumated their first year. I do not change anything if they are under a year, some just do it on their own. You might want to look at lower calorie options, such as a good quality dog food, some have vegetables already mixed in, or you could add your own. If your skink was two years old, I'd say yes, she's fat. (I'm only guessing 'she')

OK. I got him in August and he did not burn meet. Mostly because I don’t know anything about that. I kept the temperature is the same etc. never changed food amounts etc. I figure I will research it more and do it next year. I just say “he“ because I named him Dobby. He probably will end up being a she, I’ve had tortoises and every time I give them male name they end up being female. I do feed high-quality canned dog food, grain free. Brands like Evo and natural balance etc.

Re: Is my skink too fat?

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 pm
by splashy07
Here's my 8 month old for comparison.

Re: Is my skink too fat?

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:13 pm
by Leigti
splashy07 wrote:Here's my 8 month old for comparison.

Yes, compared to yours mine is pretty fat :-( I will mix some greens and veggies in with dog food. My cats are going to be very excited to be getting this cat food that’s left over.

Re: Is my skink too fat?

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:04 pm
by Janella
Lol, your cats will be happy. Don't worry to much about your skink. You will get the weight figured out as you work on the diet.

Re: Is my skink too fat?

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:39 pm
by splashy07
Agree, wouldn't worry. He/she still has some growing to do. The cat food does put the weight on. I only use it up to three months as a staple, and only occasionally after that.