Page 1 of 1

Hello! I would like a second opinion. Possible gout or early MBD???

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:52 pm
by Hannahsammeli
So I’ve had my Northern BTS For a few months now... he eats like a horse... seems to use all the space in the enclosure, regulates just fine... I have a 10.0 15 watt uvb mounted just under the screen lid inside the enclosure.. gradient from hot to cold is 100-78ish... I’ve just noticed him growing a LOT in the past or so. Made a wellness checkup for him next week, test his blood and poo levels for everything. But with the overall growth I wasn’t sure if his little arms seemed a bit too big. Take a look and tell me what you think. Regardless i am still taking him in next week, just curious what everyone thought...

Re: Hello! I would like a second opinion. Possible gout or early MBD???

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:26 am
by splashy07
I don't see anything wrong. Keeping a close watch on your pet's health is never a bad thing, though.

Re: Hello! I would like a second opinion. Possible gout or early MBD???

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:52 am
by kayla990
Agree with splashy - great to keep close watch regardless :) Overall the legs don't look too strange, but does seem a little puffy on the 3rd picture.. guess the main way to tell is if they try to avoid using the joint while moving around.

Re: Hello! I would like a second opinion. Possible gout or early MBD???

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:54 am
by kingofnobbys
I suggest upgrading the UVB to AT LEAST a 25W UVB200 (10%UVB) mounted UNDER the lid and about 8 inches from his basking spot. I'd also invest in a Exo Terra Nano-Hood for the 25W UVB200.
Better still consider investing in a 10%UVB T8 tube in reflector hood mounted UNDER the mesh lid.

The mesh will be blocking 40% of the UV and the current 13W compact is way too weak to be effective when mounted ontop the mesh , might as well have no UV like that and if not already in early stages of MBD, soon will be unless the UVB flux is upped