Page 1 of 1
HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:05 pm
by LittlePetDirt
Hey guys!
I just purchased a northern blue tongue skink from the reptile expo!
When I was taking a closer look I noticed some shed issues on his head and some deformed scales on him? Is this normal?
Thanks
Re: HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:34 pm
by EricaLikeBurrito
If you read the care sheet,
http://bluetongueskinks.net/ , deformed scales are normal. Post a picture to make sure it's just irregular scales.
Re: HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:39 pm
by LittlePetDirt
EricaLikeBurrito wrote:If you read the care sheet,
http://bluetongueskinks.net/ , deformed scales are normal. Post a picture to make sure it's just irregular scales.
Ok thank you
I don't know how to post photos, but I think he just had a bad shed.
Hopefully it will be gone next time he sheds.
Re: HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:41 pm
by EricaLikeBurrito
Irregular scales usually go away after a few sheds.
Re: HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:44 pm
by LittlePetDirt
EricaLikeBurrito wrote:Irregular scales usually go away after a few sheds.
Awesome thank you!
Just making sure, discolouration and flakes counts as irregular scales right?
Thanks

Re: HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:45 pm
by EricaLikeBurrito
What do you mean by flakes? Is the skin flaking off? Are there any dry scales on its body?
Re: HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:47 pm
by LittlePetDirt
EricaLikeBurrito wrote:What do you mean by flakes? Is the skin flaking off? Are there any dry scales on its body?
Near the end on the scales of his head it looks almost like prices of shed have flaked up. There also a couple of dry ones on his body. I am misting him once a day and I will give him a warm soak once he settles in.
Re: HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:49 pm
by EricaLikeBurrito
Maybe your humidity is too low. Keep misting but not too much. You don't want your skink to get a respiratory infection.
Re: HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:52 pm
by LittlePetDirt
EricaLikeBurrito wrote:Maybe your humidity is too low. Keep misting but not too much. You don't want your skink to get a respiratory infection.
Ok thank you!
Also, is it normal to huff or sort of sneeze once in a while? Lol I'm really new to blue tongue skinks!
Re: HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:56 pm
by EricaLikeBurrito
Huffing is completely normal. They are just trying to be intimidating and scare you away. They "sneeze" too. They are just clearing their sinuses. There should be some more information on the care sheet above.
Re: HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:58 pm
by LittlePetDirt
EricaLikeBurrito wrote:Huffing is completely normal. They are just trying to be intimidating and scare you away. They "sneeze" too. They are just clearing their sinuses. There should be some more information on the care sheet above.
Ok thank you for all of your help! I will continue to watch his shedding and humidity

Re: HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:00 pm
by EricaLikeBurrito
EricaLikeBurrito wrote:Huffing is completely normal. They are just trying to be intimidating and scare you away. They "sneeze" too. They are just clearing their sinuses. There should be some more information on the care sheet above.
I forgot to add that they sometimes flatten themselves. It's a territorial thing. Don't be intimidated, your skink most likely wont bite. If you are worried about it biting you, wear gloves or use a soft, rubber spatula so they don't hurt their jaws.
Re: HELP new skink shedding issue?
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:00 pm
by EricaLikeBurrito
Glad I could help :D