Page 1 of 1

Best cheap hide?

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:59 am
by Rush2112
(Skink type irian jaya) I am preparing for my blue tongue skink and have been looking for a hide. All of them are too short and expensive. Anyone know of a hide that is cheap and large enough for my skink.

Re: Best cheap hide?

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:17 am
by underlashes
If you want cheap and don't care about looks, I used small boxes for the first few months of having my skink. I've since upgraded to more expensive hides because I wanted his enclosure to look more natural, but he hasn't shown a preference towards either. They don't care what it looks like as long as they can hide in it :D They also can fit into a lot smaller of a space than you'd expect as adults, so you may not need something as large as you're thinking.

You can also make a dual hide/basking platform by attaching a piece of tile onto some short cuts of PVC like this! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19016&p=381720&hilit=slate+pvc#p381720

Good luck with your skink!

Re: Best cheap hide?

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:14 pm
by kingofnobbys
An A4 sized cardboard document mailing box , simply cut a hole in the back of the box and BT has a nice place to crawl in and curl up and have a nap in privacy.

Re: Best cheap hide?

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:47 pm
by Janella
Definitely agree to all the above and PetSmart and Petco sell caves that they can fit into. Good luck!

Re: Best cheap hide?

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 am
by splashy07
If you are getting a youngster you can make hides out of take-out containers. Those big plastic ones we who eat way too much take out are familiar with...when I have my baby skinks/snakes I cut holes in the containers for temporary hides, and change them out until growing slows, giving them their nice, expensive large ones to keep as adults. No need to buy something they're going to grow out of.
When I get home (I am on a garbage work computer) I will post a picture of some if I still have. Your skink does not care what his little shack looks like, just his need to feel protected.

Re: Best cheap hide?

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:20 am
by kingofnobbys
splashy07 wrote:If you are getting a youngster you can make hides out of take-out containers. Those big plastic ones we who eat way too much take out are familiar with...when I have my baby skinks/snakes I cut holes in the containers for temporary hides, and change them out until growing slows, giving them their nice, expensive large ones to keep as adults. No need to buy something they're going to grow out of.
When I get home (I am on a garbage work computer) I will post a picture of some if I still have. Your skink does not care what his little shack looks like, just his need to feel protected.

They are great .... I used those for my two BT when they were little , and for my water skinks.
I simply cut a short side out , covered the outside with black cloth tape , and my skinks loved them.

Why pay a pet shop for a fancy one when a recycled box or tub will do the job for tiny fraction of the cost ?

All my gang are pretty big now and all have jumbo hubba huts which will see them out and double as basking platforms.

Re: Best cheap hide?

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:45 pm
by alichamp
Also check out this thread on humid hides, some great suggestions there too.