Page 1 of 2

Re: Help with Identification please!

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:16 am
by mackdaddy
i need some help iding my blue tongue skink ? love him more than anything. I am so so so happy i decided to make the journey.
:ohyes: :mrgreen: :edward: :helpme: :lol: :wink: :drool:

NEED HELP IDING PLEASEEEE

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:20 am
by mackdaddy
:lol: i got this lil guy a couple of months ago now and hes the best thing ever. I have the best times with the little goober. But heres my problem. I was told that he is an indonesian blue tongue, I however dont think thats true. His markings and face and even scales are different. I asked on a forum on fb and they said irian jaya, but to me he has merauke or northern colors and markings as well. To be honest i just want to know what my beautiful bluey boy is. I have looked at scale classifications and by actual scales he is a t. evenscens. I was wondering what your takes are on it? please help, as i want to make sure he lives for *darn near ever. considering now my lil pup has another pup to love. :edward: :thumbs: :noknow: :wink: :roll: 8) :lol: :ohyes: :kick: :helpme: :blah: :edward: :drool:

Re: Help with Identification please!

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:41 am
by tbets
Need a better picture of the BTS, preferably of its back so we can see the colors and pattern. Some that have been keeping BTS long may he able to ID without a better picture though.

Re: Help with Identification please!

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 am
by splashy07
Definitely Indo, looks Merauke or IJ, more pics please!

Re: Help with Identification please!

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:02 am
by kingofnobbys
I miss when my two were little and into everything .... adult bts are lovely and smoogy (well my two are) , but babies and juveniles are more fun to interact with.

Re: Help with Identification please!

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:05 am
by mackdaddy
Screenshot_20170802-100701.png



Screenshot_20170802-100715.png


ill have a better picture when i go to lunch. but ive visted a few sites and because (like i said before the scalation) is different on him than most, ive visted a few forums on facebook and of course coming back to my all time favorite forum is here, I wish everyone could experience these beautiful blueys, theyre truly eye opening lizards :) :ohyes: :mrgreen: :thumbs: :)

Re: Help with Identification please!

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:08 am
by mackdaddy
also this is before shed, hes super dull right now. but god is he a sweetey:)

Re: Indonesian species ID

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 pm
by mackdaddy
Screenshot_20170802-100701.png
Screenshot_20170802-100715.png


t. evenscens? :D :) :mrgreen: :thumbs: :ohyes: :kick: :noknow: :edward:

Re: Indonesian species ID

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:59 pm
by Janella
Mackdaddy,

I am not certain what your BTS is. It doesn't look like a Merauke to me. Perhaps IJ? I will see what the experts think. Where did you get it?

Re: NEED HELP IDING PLEASEEEE

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:29 pm
by tcopitho
Definitely add some pictures here of your bluey, if you havent yet gotten an answer elsewhere.

Re: Indonesian species ID

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:16 am
by aaronhouts
I'm definitely not an expert, but I thought IJ as well.

Re: Indonesian species ID

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:19 pm
by mackdaddy
@janella thank you!! and i got him from a guy on craigslist so an honest id is extemely hard for me, his scales on the side are different and his tail kind of has the look of a northerns . I question if maybe hes offspring of a hybrid pair? ive had no luck truly ideniftying him however. although his scales look like they should be coming off, like hes getting crinkly almost it looks like, and hes extremely pale. How long is an average wait time for shedding?? this is all new to me. id love some advice. thanks! :thumbs:

Re: Indonesian species ID

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:25 pm
by Janella
Hey Mackdaddy,

Your welcome. Your thoughts on him are exactly the same as mine. I thought Northern also and IJ. I hope the experts chime and we get a answer.

As for the shedding it should be any day now. Watch close and make sure he doesn't have any issues with the shed process. You can even provide a humid hide that will help.

We all are here to help, so if you have more questions this is the right place to ask.

Re: NEED HELP IDING PLEASEEEE

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:31 pm
by Janella
Pictures please

Re: NEED HELP IDING PLEASEEEE

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm
by mackdaddy
:noknow: :helpme: :hehe: :mrgreen: :drool: :ohyes:

Re: NEED HELP IDING PLEASEEEE

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:09 pm
by mackdaddy
I :edward: :edward: :edward: :edward:

Re: NEED HELP IDING PLEASEEEE

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:06 pm
by tcopitho
Looks to be a nice example of an Irian Jaya. They are an indo species, but not the same as the one typically called the indonesian bts. IJs often can have very similar colour and patterns to both the Northern and/or the merauke, you will learn to discern the differences after looking at thousands of skink pictures hahaha.

I believe the IJ is in some cases called simply Tiliqua Sp but in other cases is lumped in with meraukes as Tiliqua gigas evanescens. Its generaly thought within the hobby that they are two seperate subspecies... i guess we are all just waiting around for some science guy to make it official.

Re: Indonesian species ID

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:49 am
by mackdaddy
Gosh i love this forum so much. and aw that makes me feel a little better. ive been doing an insane amount of research lately and that was the closed thing i could come up with, i wonder if hes a hybrid by chance. but i cannot wait for the experts to chime is as well, as this is the best forum out there :) best place to reach out for sure. how long does a normal shed take? a couple days? i just want to make sure hes perfect in his shed. I adore the lil goober. thanks!! (:
:edward:

Re: Indonesian species ID

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:02 pm
by Janella
Yeah we are a pretty amazing group :thumbs:

As for shedding, a normal shed should only take 2-3 days.

Re: Help with Identification please!

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:17 am
by Bluetongueskinkguy
That looks like an Indonesian.