Does anyone have some more advice on approach like how to hand feed, what should I do or should I wait until it is older? Anything that will help me please, and thank you for your time
Advice about taming
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Pandamonium
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 4
- Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:02 am
- Country: Australia
- Location: Gosford
Advice about taming
Hello everyone I have a 5 month old Alpine Blotched Blue tongue who is quite feisty when I try to handle it (was born and kept in a outdoor pit from the breeder) I have read some threads on here and the caresheet, I was told by some breeders to wait until it's older to start taming it since they said they calm with age. I don't know what I should do I have tried doing what I saw in TC Houston's video on handling and no matter how slowly I do it I get the same reaction; huffy, hissing, and bluff biting, I have also tried to do the earn it's trust however each time I try to offer food it huffs and skitters away is there a approach I am not doing or? The only one I don't really want to do is the Tough love one since I don't know how much stress that will put it through.
Does anyone have some more advice on approach like how to hand feed, what should I do or should I wait until it is older? Anything that will help me please, and thank you for your time
Does anyone have some more advice on approach like how to hand feed, what should I do or should I wait until it is older? Anything that will help me please, and thank you for your time
-
Bluetongueskinkguy
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 14
- Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:26 am
- Country: Canada
Re: Advice about taming
Hi, I recently got a blue tongue (two weeks ago actually)and he would thrash and hiss when I would get near him but now he still doesn't like to be held but let's me pick him up without thrashing or hissing as much and this because I take him out every day or two and give him a very small amount of food and 3 times a week I take him out for a full meal and if he is fast like mine (mine is 2 years old but was not tame at all before, so I believe the same routine applys) I put him in a cardboard box to eat and put him back in the tank so he associates feeding with handling, then after a few feedings or days I increase the time and he is doing great and is really taking up quick. Also don't stop handling if he goes to the bathroom on you while handling, mine has done it twice so far but it's just because they are stressed but they will stop. Hope this helps
-
Dwarfbeardeddragon
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 83
- Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:20 am
- Country: Australia
- Location: Western-Australia
- Contact:
Re: Advice about taming
just make sure you dont force handling as this will do the exact opposite, put on a pair of socks in the morning and in the afternoon take them off and put them in his tank so he's completely use to your smell, being around your smell 24/7 should help, there is a very helpful article about handling on the backwater reptiles page. good luck! 
-
kingofnobbys
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
- Country: australia
- Location: NSW
Re: Advice about taming
I started off with all my pet lizards very slowly , keeping the handling to the absolute minimum but giving them their first few insects each day (as babies and juveniles) by hand as a bonding ritual.
This is a great way to form a trusting bond with a lizard and they soon learn you are the bringer of food.
Also spend as much time as you can hanging out near the new lizard's viv were it can see you doing stuff (ie homework, study, playing vid and comp games, and just doing stuff) this gives it a chance to study you , you can also try placing your open up turned hand in the viv where the lizard can see it (with a tempting treat on it) , eventually the lizard will overcome it's fear and distrust of you and amble over to take the treat.
I also find petting them while they are eating or basking works well, as does taking them out for snuggle when they are tired and ready to go bed.
Patience is the key.
This is a great way to form a trusting bond with a lizard and they soon learn you are the bringer of food.
Also spend as much time as you can hanging out near the new lizard's viv were it can see you doing stuff (ie homework, study, playing vid and comp games, and just doing stuff) this gives it a chance to study you , you can also try placing your open up turned hand in the viv where the lizard can see it (with a tempting treat on it) , eventually the lizard will overcome it's fear and distrust of you and amble over to take the treat.
I also find petting them while they are eating or basking works well, as does taking them out for snuggle when they are tired and ready to go bed.
Patience is the key.
- Pandamonium
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 4
- Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:02 am
- Country: Australia
- Location: Gosford
Re: Advice about taming
Thank you everyone who has posted advice thus far I will be trying them
If anyone else has anything else please feel free to share.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 159 guests
