Hi, i have some Photos of my skink. There is a problem with his Skales.
Wanted to hear opinions of what that may be. He behaves normally. He already has that as i purchase him.
Skale issue
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Arcturos
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 am
- Country: Germany
- Location: Werl
Skale issue
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- splashy07
- ADMIN

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY
Re: Skale issue
Looks like he may have been kept a bit too dry and there is some old shed that didn't come off. Try a warm moist towel to the area. Possibly increase his humidity a bit. Can we see a picture of the rest of him?
- Janella
- ADMIN

- Posts: 1854
- Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:52 am
- Your Facebook name: Janella Poch
- Country:
- Location: Petersburg, Mi
Re: Skale issue
Definitely agree
-
kingofnobbys
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
- Country: australia
- Location: NSW
Re: Skale issue
Was he housed with other BTS , looks to me like he's been bashed up in a dominance conflict or when courting .
-
Arcturos
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 am
- Country: Germany
- Location: Werl
Re: Skale issue
If i had asked he wouldn’t have nown , believe me
My humidity in the warm zone is 31% and in the could 37%.
I have a few more pics.
My humidity in the warm zone is 31% and in the could 37%.
I have a few more pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Janella
- ADMIN

- Posts: 1854
- Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:52 am
- Your Facebook name: Janella Poch
- Country:
- Location: Petersburg, Mi
Re: Skale issue
Definitely looks like a shed issue to me. What kind of substrate do you have it on? Have you tried a humid hide? You could even try a soak.
-
Arcturos
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 am
- Country: Germany
- Location: Werl
Re: Skale issue
The substrate is Repti Bark.I will try a humide hide.Does it need daily spraying?
And how large should the hide be, in length and wide?
I have seen what one can buy at amazone, but there hides are more for geckos and snakes, i believe to small. I thinck one of a plastick box is better.
Today i will soak him.
And how large should the hide be, in length and wide?
I have seen what one can buy at amazone, but there hides are more for geckos and snakes, i believe to small. I thinck one of a plastick box is better.
Today i will soak him.
- Janella
- ADMIN

- Posts: 1854
- Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:52 am
- Your Facebook name: Janella Poch
- Country:
- Location: Petersburg, Mi
Re: Skale issue
I would suggest using a substrate that can hold moisture better like Zilla Jungle mix or Ecoearth. Then put the Reptibark on top. As for the humid hide, you want a container that your entire skink can fit into and then be able to turn around in. You will want to use spagnham moss and moisten it daily. There is a thread on the subject on the main page for the site. I hope this helps and good luck!
-
Arcturos
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 am
- Country: Germany
- Location: Werl
Re: Skale issue
I try Zilla Jungle mix and buy a container. I have already Spagnham moos. thanks for the help
I do have Two last question. I have read that once every week soaking also helps or is that to much?
And should the humid hide better on the warm or cool end?
I would do it in between but then i think i would need 3 openings because he searchs always for a way from the wall, or are 3 openings ok?
I do have Two last question. I have read that once every week soaking also helps or is that to much?
And should the humid hide better on the warm or cool end?
I would do it in between but then i think i would need 3 openings because he searchs always for a way from the wall, or are 3 openings ok?
- Janella
- ADMIN

- Posts: 1854
- Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:52 am
- Your Facebook name: Janella Poch
- Country:
- Location: Petersburg, Mi
Re: Skale issue
Definitely try the jungle mix with the Reptibark on top. I use it for both my skinks and so far haven't had any problems with shedding with them.
The humid hide should be on the warmer side. You want the hide to be like a sauna in there.
You can soak weekly or evening multiple times a week until the shedding issue resolves. Hopefully once the issue resolves you won't need to do it.
One last thing. Make sure your temps are correct. That is extremely important for skinks.
Again I hope this all helps. Keep me posted
The humid hide should be on the warmer side. You want the hide to be like a sauna in there.
You can soak weekly or evening multiple times a week until the shedding issue resolves. Hopefully once the issue resolves you won't need to do it.
One last thing. Make sure your temps are correct. That is extremely important for skinks.
Again I hope this all helps. Keep me posted
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 194 guests
