Page 1 of 1

Hissing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:49 pm
by Maple
I just got my Northern today. He's 9 months old, and is the cutest little guy.

He got home, I put him straight into his terrarium, he walked around a little. I cooked him up some chicken liver, with green beans and a strawberry and a blueberry. I tried to pick him up after he ate but he squirmed a lot, so I put him down. Now he's sitting in the cool side with his eyes close.

I was petting his head and he was turning it so that I'd scratch the top, so I thought he was enjoying it. But he occasionally makes the breathy sound. Like he's letting a quick breath out. Is this hissing? Is he upset?

Thanks

Re: Hissing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:38 pm
by jdheff1982
Hissing is their first line of defense before moving on yhe tongue flashing and biting.

Since you recently acquired your skink, it would be advisable to give your skink time to settle in before progressing to handling. Keep in mind, it is in a new environment with unfamiliar sounds and smells. This is a stressfull time and hissing and other reactions would be normal.

Give it a week or two before attemptingvto handle. Even then, you need to earn its trust. You can do this by finger feeding treats. It will eventually learn you are ok and not react so badly.

I would recommend reading the caresheet. It has good advice for new owners. There is a link to it in my signature area.

Good luck!

Re: Hissing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:05 pm
by Janella
Definitely agree with the last post. They need time to adjust and build trust. Congratulations on your new skink. They are just awesome

Re: Hissing?

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 am
by jodidelisio
that might be huffing not hissing because last post explained it and it is perfectly normal nothing to worry about (picture maybe? :D )

Re: Hissing?

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:49 am
by Kyzza
I've only had my blue tounge for 3 weeks. He/she is a baby and still hisses at me every now and then.
I havent handled him/her much..at the moment I sit near the enclosure so he/she can see me. Sometimes will come up to the glasses doors and have a sniff of me but Im letting what he/she feels comfortable with.
You just need patience.

Re: Hissing?

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:18 am
by Maple
He doesn't really do anything odd. He sits still. Sometimes even closes his eyes when I pet him!

It's a long exhale (still short though) I usually stop petting him as soon as I hear it. I've heard him huff/sneeze and they're much shorter. I've tried my best not to touch him unless I'm feeding him and changing his water. Fed him on Sunday and I'm still waiting for him to poop!

Re: Hissing?

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:03 am
by jodidelisio
just wait for a week to let him adjust after that you may get to start handling them and I am sure it will tame down quite fast. Blue tongue skink are very smart creature and with my experience (still a beginner) he will poop or even pee outside of his terrarium. unless it is an emergency he will not go in his terrarium :D :D :D