Page 1 of 1

Hi everyone! :)

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:09 pm
by SamanthaMaryH
Hello everyone!

I've recently just purchased my first BTS, and I figured this would be a good place to introduce myself and learn all I can, despite all the homework I did before i bought her. :ohyes:

A little background, she's a two year old Merauke BTS named Willow, purchased from a friend who's into the reptile hobby in my area. I jumped at the chance to own her, as I've wanted one for years and being from an island province (Proud Canadian here, haha! :D ) there are no local breeders or even any petstores that sell them. According to my friend (as she's friends with her first owner) her mother was wild caught but she was captive born.

I'm very much into the aquarium hobby (discus, angelfish, and I breed and sell axolotls! :) ) and I have a crested gecko as well, so I do have some experience with reptiles.

I've had her just over a week now and I've been leaving her alone as much as possible, giving her all the space and time she needs to adjust and become used to me, the sound of my voice, etc. I have noticed that she seems quite hesitant around me when my hands are in her enclosure, huffing when I touch her tail accidentally. Is this normal? I feel like she needs more time to become accustomed to me, but I'm worried as she's two years old already and doesn't seem to be well socialized.

Thanks in advance, and I'm happy to meet you all! :thumbs: I'll post some pictures of Willow once I get the hang of these forums, haha!

Re: Hi everyone! :)

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:09 pm
by jdheff1982
Welcome to the family!

I have a 4 year old Northern, myself. If I may ask, what is the red patch on your skinks' nose?

Re: Hi everyone! :)

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:01 am
by SamanthaMaryH
jdheff1982 wrote:Welcome to the family!

I have a 4 year old Northern, myself. If I may ask, what is the red patch on your skinks' nose?


Hello! :) Northerns are so cute! And it's actually a raspberry, hahah! She likes to make a mess when she eats fruit! :lol:

Re: Hi everyone! :)

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:14 am
by tcopitho
Welcome fellow Canadian! I keep meraukes as well, I absolutely love them. Congratulations on your new friend. She looks beautiful from what I can tell in your Avatar pic, cant wait to see more pictures of her.

Re: Hi everyone! :)

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:30 am
by aaronhouts
Welcome!
BTS are the best!
Feel free to post more pics when you get a chance.

Re: Hi everyone! :)

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:42 pm
by SamanthaMaryH
tcopitho wrote:Welcome fellow Canadian! I keep meraukes as well, I absolutely love them. Congratulations on your new friend. She looks beautiful from what I can tell in your Avatar pic, cant wait to see more pictures of her.


Thank you for the warm welcome! :) We seem to be on opposite ends of Canada, how cool is that? ♥️ Abd I'll definitely be posting more pictures of her, she's got such a nice bright orange belly when she sheds!

Re: Hi everyone! :)

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:43 pm
by SamanthaMaryH
aaronhouts wrote:Welcome!
BTS are the best!
Feel free to post more pics when you get a chance.


Thank you so much! :) I agree, I've fallen in love with her so quickly already! I'll definitely be posting more pictures soon! ♥️

Re: Hi everyone! :)

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:23 pm
by Janella
Welcome to the forum! Love Northerns. I also have a Meruake. Absolutely love my skinks.