Help with Identification please!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Charoozz520
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:55 am
Country: US
Location: NJ

Help with Identification please!

Postby Charoozz520 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:12 am

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and blue tongue skinks but not new to reptile keeping.
I picked up this beautiful baby at Repticon Baltimore a few weeks ago, the seller of course did not know the locale (said Merauke, then Tamnibar, then wasn't sure :roll: ). I was just wondering if anyone here can help me ID this guy/girl? So far I just been trying to be patient and have this baby get use to me, he would get hissy when I go to pick him up but after he's out of his cage, he calms down a lot and is okay with me petting him. Hopefully he will learn to trust me soon. Thanks for all your help!

Image
Image
Scincus
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:26 am
Country: USA

Re: Help with Identification please!

Postby Scincus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Tiliqua gigas gigas
Charoozz520
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:55 am
Country: US
Location: NJ

Re: Help with Identification please!

Postby Charoozz520 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:15 pm

So Indonesian? Funny because I asked him if these were Indonesian and he said No. Would these be harder to tame down than Northerns? So far he gets really hissy when I go to pick him up but I hope he would calm down eventually. I been handfeeding him blueberries to get him use to me.
Scincus
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:26 am
Country: USA

Re: Help with Identification please!

Postby Scincus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Yes, Indonesian. A lot of people call this the "Halmahera" form Indonesian. (The other Indos are just referred to as classic Indos, and they are also Tiliqua gigas gigas)

Here is some info on their specific care: http://www.bluetongueskinks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=29521

Most of them are wild caught, sometimes captive born from a gravid wild caught mother, but it is most likely not captive bred. I haven't personally owned Halms, so I don't have much input about temperament. It probably be wild caught may make it more defensive in general; I think your approach of using food to gain trust is good.
jodidelisio
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:05 am
Country: Indonesia
Location: jakarta

Re: Help with Identification please!

Postby jodidelisio » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:54 pm

I dont think its a gigas gigas because gigas gigas have a yellow and black band and yes that is a halmahera and this is two different skink although their personality and care is much alike (i'm from Indonesia and yes both are different locality) hope this might correct your id halmahera have a bolder black band than a merauke but the second band is usually reddish whilst tiliqua gigas gigas have a much yellow band than a halmahera. I do think that your skink is a tiliqua gigas gigas. It is not hard to tame them down (in my opinion) the hardest one would be a tanimbar (really defensive but very beautiful color). That's my opinion, i too still a beginner so feel free to correct me :D :D :D :D but that's what i think and as far my knowledge sees it
User avatar
alichamp
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
Country: Australia
Location: NSW

Re: Help with Identification please!

Postby alichamp » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:17 am

Hi! I agree it is one of the Indo species (definitely not one of the Australian skinks) and most likely wild caught. Take your time, if you have only just got it, give it a couple of weeks to settle in before you handle and then only 5-10 minutes at a time. In the meantime yes, feeding and hand feed treats (yummy fruits). Make sure you check out the diet chart and frequently asked questions section on care. It looks very young too, which is not a problem but does mean that taking time will matter a lot. When they are little their defence is staying hidden and safe from bigger things (including you).

Indo species need high humidity to do well and prevent illness. Other experienced keepers on here have found that Halmaheras thrive on humidity of 80+%. There is a great thread on humidity and humid hides also in the FAQs section.
starscream3232
SuperNerd
SuperNerd
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 pm
Country:
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Help with Identification please!

Postby starscream3232 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:56 pm

That's 100% a halmahera Indonesian blue tongue tiliqua gigas gigas. Halmahera are a local of the Indonesian. They are known for their copper banding. They are 100% wild caught. No one in the USA have successfully bred them yet.
Greg
10.9.5 T.s. Intermedia Northern Blue Tongue Skink
1.0 T.s.s. NSW Eastern Blue Tongue Skink
3.2.7 H. gerrardii Pink tongued skink
1.1 T. nigrolutea Blotched blue tongue
0.0.1 T. Gigas evanescens merauke blue tongue
https://m.facebook.com/ribluetonguesskinks/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 331 guests