Page 1 of 1

Slate basking place - How hot is too hot for a Northern?

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:51 am
by RoflOnMyWaffle
Hi guys, I got some slate sheets for cheap from my local supermarket, they're place mats for plates and have little foam feet underneath ( which I might take off, we shall see )

But I was wondering, how hot is too hot for a BTS? I put the overhead basking lamp with a dimming stat to keep it at around 95-100F ( still fine tuning before Bruce arrives and don't have his viv so hard to get the right distances )

My concern is how hot can the slate get before it hurts him? I figured it won't get thaaat hot, like I can comfortable leave my hand on it for ages, but the probe ontop of the slate reads between 95-100F from the combined heat of the slate and the light.

If needs be, can I just cover it in substrate? just to absorb some heat? or coat it with something?

I don't want to burn him :(

Re: Slate basking place - How hot is too hot for a Northern?

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:30 am
by underlashes
Around 100F is the recommended temperature for the basking spot, so your temps sound fine. My northern prefers it slightly elevated around 102. He tries to climb up and touch the light otherwise. I'd say closer to 110 is when it starts being a little too hot for them, though.

Re: Slate basking place - How hot is too hot for a Northern?

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:29 pm
by alichamp
There's a difference between the air temp at the hot spot and the surface temp of the basking plate. If you have a temperature gun that measures surface temp for you in the slate under the basking light. If not, put your temp probe on the tile at the hottest part of the day to give you an idea of temp on the bit where he sits.

It's probably not much to worry about though, the temp you have set for basking is perfect and adding the slate gives an option of a little power boost for getting to body temp quickly. Is there a concern that the slate thingies you have can withstand that much heat?

Re: Slate basking place - How hot is too hot for a Northern?

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:37 pm
by jdheff1982
I use slate. Never had any issues with it. I have a temp probe for the thermostat that sits on the slate. Thermo is set to 95* F. Temp of slates stays at 95* F according to infrared temp gun.

Re: Slate basking place - How hot is too hot for a Northern?

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:05 am
by RoflOnMyWaffle
Thanks guys, I figured it wouldn't get too hot but better safe than sorry :)

My temp probe says roughly what the other one says anyways. so if two probes say 95F then I'm inclined to believe it :)