Page 1 of 1

Is this an IJ blue tongue?

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:29 am
by Orchamo
Hey everyone! I bought 2 skinks that are IJ, both turned out to be males. Now, i was looking for a female and somone told me his vet said he has a female blue tongue. I thoght they had an ultrasound or something but he said it was due to the size of the head. Now i know like you thats its not accurate at all.he sent me some pictures of "her". So i'd like to ask you two questions.
first, what do you think, is it an IJ? I mean, i have two, they dont look like that (i know they have many patterns and colors). the front legs are patterned as well but the body looks different. Do IJ's look like that? Is it maybe a mix of localities? I dont want to breed different localities myself so i want to make sure if i can :)
Second, does it looks like a female to you? I'd rather not to end up with 3 males lol, i know its very inaccurate but id like you to give me your opinion! I think it looks like a male..

Thanks alot !! You have helped me before, hope you'll be able to this time as well :D


IMG-20170522-WA0024.jpg
IMG-20170522-WA0025.jpg
IMG-20170522-WA0028.jpg

Re: Is this an IJ blue tongue?

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:48 am
by splashy07
Looks IJ, looks male, but as far as sexing looks don't matter sometimes. IJs are for the most part imported, and importers keep them unseparated from similar Meraukes, and if it happens to be their time, they do not discriminate, perhaps why there are many Merauke/IJ crosses out there today. Many pet shops and sellers at expos do not even have them labelled correctly. Very pretty lizard nonetheless.

Re: Is this an IJ blue tongue?

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:38 pm
by Orchamo
Thanks for the comment! I know its not accurate, i have a good looking female that turned to be male lol -huge, body same width all along and nope. A male. i really hope thats its a female even though the head is very pointy and overall looks a bit small for an adult female. The tail seem to have hemi pockets, but the body shape doesn't get thinner near the back legs, so.. confused lol. Thanks alot for the opinion man, and yea thats a shame they dont seperate them. I like keeping things like they are in nature,as far as localities go.