Building an Enclosure
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Halogen
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 69
- Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:29 pm
- Country: UnitedStates
- Location: Indiana
Building an Enclosure
I'm considering building a 4ftx2ftx2ft enclosure, yet I'm not completely sure how. I know to use plywood for the walls and stuff, but what is a good material for the sliding doors? Also I have a question for the top, what is a heat resistant material that I can use to put the light on ? Or should I just try to hang it above somewhere?
Fiji Fan Club President.
-
kingofnobbys
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
- Country: australia
- Location: NSW
Re: Building an Enclosure
I called in a glasier who cut some 6mm thick tempered glass to fit, drilled holes for the locks , and flame smoothed the edges (no chance of getting cut) , job was done in under 30 minutes at my home.
You could use 6mm thick clear acrylic (Perspex) sheet - will be cheap if you can get hold of an offcut, will be pricey if you have to buy a full 1.2m x 2.4m sheet.
My vivs for my 2 BTs are made from marine ply (I never bothered painting or vanishing it). I simply mounted my basking light's ceramic e27 fixtures in each viv under the lid and directly to it.... I'm only running 80W par38 incandescent spots and have not seen any evidence of charring of the timber.
You could use 6mm thick clear acrylic (Perspex) sheet - will be cheap if you can get hold of an offcut, will be pricey if you have to buy a full 1.2m x 2.4m sheet.
My vivs for my 2 BTs are made from marine ply (I never bothered painting or vanishing it). I simply mounted my basking light's ceramic e27 fixtures in each viv under the lid and directly to it.... I'm only running 80W par38 incandescent spots and have not seen any evidence of charring of the timber.
-
vana
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 57
- Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:00 pm
- Country: USA
Re: Building an Enclosure
Depending on your budget, you might want to look into ordering a PVC cage with sliding glass doors. They can be customized.
-
ileolai
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 2:03 am
- Country: Australia
Re: Building an Enclosure
As mentioned you can use glass or acrylic for the doors. Acrylic tends to scratch easily, and can turn yellow over time when exposed to lots of light. The main advantage it has over glass is that it is considerably tougher and lighter. I'd go for glass, unless you can get acrylic really cheap.
If you want to keep the light outside the viv, just cut a hole in the top and cover it with some mesh. like so.
If you want to keep the light outside the viv, just cut a hole in the top and cover it with some mesh. like so.
- jdheff1982
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 439
- Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
- Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
- Country: USA
- Location: Derby,KS
Re: Building an Enclosure
OP, you might consider using melamine for the walls, top and bottom. Melamine has a laminate overlay on one side making clean up much easier and reducing the chance of rotting and molding of exposed wood.
I am in the planning stages of a new enclosure myself. Considering a 2x2x3 metal feeding trough. I'd inset a wooden plank into the trough and use it to hang/mount my lights and heat sources to. Then, I'd build a lid to cover the cool side.
I am in the planning stages of a new enclosure myself. Considering a 2x2x3 metal feeding trough. I'd inset a wooden plank into the trough and use it to hang/mount my lights and heat sources to. Then, I'd build a lid to cover the cool side.
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
-
Halogen
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 69
- Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:29 pm
- Country: UnitedStates
- Location: Indiana
Re: Building an Enclosure
I bought an enclosure of craigslist thats fits what I need. Sliding glass doors, wood, right size. Thanks for the help everyone though! 
Fiji Fan Club President.
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 337 guests
